Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » The eternal quesiton: Tube friendly or not
The eternal quesiton: Tube friendly or not [message #45146] Mon, 02 August 2004 06:19 Go to next message
roland is currently offline  roland
Baron
Hi,

Having read all I can find on tube friendly, damping factor etc, I have the following questions:

If a tube amp has sufficiently low out put impedance (and the resulting high damping factor), I could still be all right with just a couple of watts? It seems that the low damping factor in SETs is the real problem and not necessarily the low power output? After all, if the speaker has 100db/1w/m, 2-4 Watts should be enough, yes?

In for example a PSE arrangement where the additional tube is used for lowering output impedance instead of doubling the power could do the trick??? Example: using 2 x 6as7 (one tube envelope) with for arguments sake a 5kohm primary would yield high enough damping factor to allow for higher Zmax on the woofer...????

Sorry if the quesiton is foolish, but I am really curious on this:)

Roland

Re: The eternal quesiton: Tube friendly or not [message #45147 is a reply to message #45146] Mon, 02 August 2004 07:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
That's right, Roland. If the amplifier's damping factor is high, i.e. output impedance is low, then speaker impedance fluxuations won't affect response so much.

thanks. I like no nonsense answers. (nt) [message #45148 is a reply to message #45147] Mon, 02 August 2004 08:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
roland is currently offline  roland
Baron
!

Re: thanks. I like no nonsense answers. (nt) [message #45149 is a reply to message #45148] Mon, 02 August 2004 09:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yury is currently offline  Yury
Baron

hello Roland!
you wrote:
1. "If a tube amp has sufficiently low out put impedance "
if!!!! it's not always. it's depend of scheme, solution. we have to reach it first. the same as transistor amplifier.
2. "and not necessarily the low power output" - it's depend of drivers sound pressure. if you'll load any amp to driver 0.08 Pa - high damping factor of your amplifier don't take a big sound. but 0.4 Pa driver be able to makes biiiigggg loud! :) by 1W
a propos, what do we mean about 1W to 4 ohm? U^2/R. ok. U=2V. nice. signal swing have to be about 5V by oscillograph, couse it's mean square value.
sorry my English.

Re: thanks. I like no nonsense answers. (nt) [message #45190 is a reply to message #45149] Sun, 15 August 2004 10:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Yury; What is that .08 PA number mean?

Re: thanks. I like no nonsense answers. (nt) [message #45192 is a reply to message #45149] Mon, 16 August 2004 00:13 Go to previous message
Yury is currently offline  Yury
Baron

Pa - means pascal. unit of sound pressure.

Previous Topic: My Eminence Kappa 12 just quit on me :-(
Next Topic: My New Theatre Three's
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Jul 22 18:15:07 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout