Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » thinking about going back to a pro amp.
thinking about going back to a pro amp. [message #45124] Fri, 30 July 2004 05:53 Go to next message
James W. Johnson is currently offline  James W. Johnson
Master
I am a little bit frustrated with what ~$1000 buys a guy in a used home audio 5 channel amp so I am considering going back to a pro amp for home use.

I say back to because I was using a QSC USA 900 amp to power my Adire Kit281s for several years and I was very happy with the results, during that time I tried a few home amps and receivers and the QSC/Adire sound always came out on top. Man did I catch some flack for using that amp too!

Anway I upgraded to seperates recently and now I only have the amp that I was using to run my mains..a Parasound HCA-1500A ...I am still 3 channels short.

I paid $200 for my QSC USA 900 and got tons of use out of it, that thing was rated at 450x2 @ 4 ohms and it very much sounded like it, it drove those speakers to very high SPLs cleanly.

I could pick up 3 used QSC USA 900s for about what I paid for my HCA-1500A .

QSC says that on paper the new RMX line is identical to the USA series but I am not sure I believe that or not. If it is true then I could pick up 3 RMX 1450s and have tons of power on tap.

What are some of the better sounding budget amps out now? Have any of you guys experimented?

I do have an RMX 1850HD for subwoofer duty right now so I plan on wiring it up to my Stage 4 Pi speakers and A/Bing it against my Parasound HCA-1500A.

Re: thinking about going back to a pro amp. [message #45125 is a reply to message #45124] Fri, 30 July 2004 06:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Larry Acklin is currently offline  Larry Acklin
Baron
The Behringer EP-2500 got good reviews by the "big boys" at prosoundweb. www.live-audio.com

Can't beat the proce $/watt. Also heard good things about the Nady amps.

All of the lower cost pro amps are being built in China. I have a Crest and a Crown of Asian origin.

(got a BGW 500 on the stereo right now...)

Larry Acklin

Re: thinking about going back to a pro amp. [message #45128 is a reply to message #45125] Fri, 30 July 2004 08:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Master
Well I didn't really want to go that cheap...I'll stick with the QSC RMX line if anything.

I'd at least prefer to stick with brand names like QSC , Crown and Crest if nothing else for their better resale value.

I really loved my QSC USA 900 , I just know it would make these Stage 4 Pis sing! Not that they dont already sing nicely with my Parasound HCA-1500A, its just that I know they want more power! 200 watts is just a snack for these guys!

Re: thinking about going back to a pro amp. [message #45129 is a reply to message #45124] Fri, 30 July 2004 08:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
I still like my system using large prosound amps too. Every live performance I know of uses systems like these, and I like the sound.

Re: thinking about going back to a pro amp. [message #45130 is a reply to message #45128] Fri, 30 July 2004 08:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Master
I guess I also need to know what is a good amount of power to go with for these Stage 4 Pis...since they are 8 ohms I wont be getting the most out of whatever amp I go with.

My USA 900 put out 270 @ 8ohms and 450 @ 4ohms so quite a difference..although I suppose 8ohms is alot less taxing and will
probably result in better SQ with cheaper amps.

Re: thinking about going back to a pro amp. [message #45131 is a reply to message #45130] Fri, 30 July 2004 09:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Larry Acklin is currently offline  Larry Acklin
Baron
Figure 2x the RMS value of the driver. (PA rule of thumb to get stupid loud and not blow drivers up)

RMX are Asian also. Michael (Bink) Knowles, a mixer FOH dude out on the Left Coast, has given the Behringer a thumbs up. I'm just saying that the line between MI grade amps and "PRO" amps is blurring. I personally have a Crest Pro 3001, an AB international Precedent 900, a Crest CPX 2600 (asian) a Crown XLS402 (asian), two Crown powertech 2, BGW, Peavey, the list goes on. I use the Crest CPX on subs, the Crown xls on monitors, and they work well. Frankly I think that even if you bought the Nady or Behringer, for the home rig you'd be hard pressed to even warm them up. Now if I was a provider on a tour, or had lots of national acts to set up my rig for, I'd have nothing but QSC PLX, Crest Pro, or Crown (Macs or Itecs).

Funny how snotty musicians and their "band engineer/sound guy" can get about equipment. My "proprietary" dual 15" folded horn subs wouldn't pass muster with a snob, but the locals love 'em.

Try www.musicgoround.com and search in pro audio. Lots of good deals out there.

Larry Acklin

Re: thinking about going back to a pro amp. [message #45134 is a reply to message #45130] Fri, 30 July 2004 15:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wunhuanglo is currently offline  wunhuanglo
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
I was shopping for amps a while ago, and the guy in the local recording equipment store recommended Carver Pro for studio/monitoring applications.

He must have honestly meant it - he didn't carry them in the store.

Re: Fans suck. [message #45137 is a reply to message #45134] Fri, 30 July 2004 20:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill Martinelli is currently offline  Bill Martinelli
Illuminati (1st Degree)

I've had a couple different Carver's. They are nice. the ones I had didnt have any fan. I have a Haefler that sounds very rich and full. Also with no fan. Fans suck.

Re: Or Blow. :-) [message #45138 is a reply to message #45137] Fri, 30 July 2004 21:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Master
I agree for the most part, the fan in my QSC 1850HD sub amp is horrible sounding, thank god I keep it in another room besides my home theater. On the other hand my QSC USA 900 amp fan was bad but could easily be drowned out with some low level music.

Regardless though fans are something Id rather not have.

Re: Fans suck. [message #45139 is a reply to message #45137] Sat, 31 July 2004 03:23 Go to previous message
wunhuanglo is currently offline  wunhuanglo
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
The only amp with a fan I tried to run was the 6-channel Rane. I thought I could put up with it, but I was wrong. The fan noise drove me nuts.

Which makes me wonder about Crown's top-of-the-line Studio Reference - they have fans. Maybe for that kind of money, from somebody like Crown, they can actually be made really quiet.

Previous Topic: KSN1038 Discontinued
Next Topic: Pi 5 vs. Pi 8 questions for Wayne
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed May 22 23:48:48 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout