Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » about name of forum
about name of forum [message #45088] Wed, 28 July 2004 06:31 Go to next message
Yury is currently offline  Yury
Baron

exuse me Wayne!
what means name of this forum? why PiSpeakers?

Re: about name of forum [message #45089 is a reply to message #45088] Wed, 28 July 2004 10:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
"π" is a federally registered trademark in America. There are a lot of things I liked about the company name. The first thing was the number of times I used "π" in formulas to calculate things when building loudspeakers. It's used in the reactive formulas for the crossovers. It's used to calculate resonance of the cabinet. It's used to describe radiation angle. It's used to calculate cross-section areas of speakers and horns. It's just used everywhere. Another thing was that in Greek or Russian, it's the first letter of my last (фамилия) name. And being a transcendental number, I was always just fascinated by it. It has an almost magical quality, and I always liked mathematical concepts like that.

Re: about name of forum [message #45090 is a reply to message #45089] Wed, 28 July 2004 11:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Baron

oh!
thank's for well-grounded reply.
I have some experiece for crossover. but it's a realy difficult part of DIY speaker.
let's talk about it. I have some ideas, but I need more

Re: about name of forum [message #45092 is a reply to message #45090] Wed, 28 July 2004 13:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
I think that different types of speakers need different crossover types. Some more of my thoughts are in the links in the post called "A few useful links."
Re: about name of forum [message #45103 is a reply to message #45092] Thu, 29 July 2004 07:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Baron

hello Wayne!
I couldn't write to "A few useful links.". and I think it's forum about passive crossover. I would talk about active one.
can I?

Active Crossover [message #45106 is a reply to message #45103] Thu, 29 July 2004 08:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
I can offer only a model of an active crossover that implements the same EQ as the passive π crossover. The model is made for PSpice and is based on the Steve Bench active crossover. Circuit boards are available.

http://www.pispeakers.com/Tube_Crossover.gif
Active implementation of π compensated crossover using 6DJ8 tube
Re: Active Crossover [message #45111 is a reply to message #45106] Thu, 29 July 2004 08:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Baron

oh! I see. but this is unregulated version. it's ok. but me and other maybe has interest for regulate cutoff frequency, phase, level output signal.... more interesting will be for low freq output which is a difference between stereo output (filtered) and stereo input. I mean stereo output is from 80 hz to inf, and sub chanal is from 0 to 80 hz.
not sure do you understand my statement :) ok. short story. anecdote, funny story, joke:
A programmer(P) is handing out completed task (conception, prorgam, design).
Customer(C) is nodding assent with satisfaction and agree with everything.
C: It seems everything is okay !
P: Excellent, you owe 1700.
C: (is giving the money): Well, I hope if it will be need to make some changes I can ask you about it ?
This work is not - made and forget ?
P: Sure, it depends on what and how to change.
C: Yeah, I will not say "Lets to remake it all".
P: Yes, of course. By the way, one more question - may I, in future if I will need a money or got problems,
I will ask you to get some money ? (A little bit, it is very rarely, it will not be a problem for you)
C: (wondering with his mouth widely open)
P: Don't worry, of course I will not ask you "Lets pay me for this task again !"

Re: Active Crossover [message #45115 is a reply to message #45111] Thu, 29 July 2004 09:06 Go to previous message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Good story.

You're right that there are no external adjustment knobs on this crossover. You set crossover frequencies by changing components. I suppose you could make it switch selectable between a few set frequencies though. That's one thing about building your own. You can pretty much make whatever you want.

Previous Topic: How small of a cabinet could be used for a Pi 8?
Next Topic: KSN1038 Discontinued
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Jul 14 16:08:59 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout