Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Old JVC'S
Old JVC'S [message #45057] Sat, 24 July 2004 17:24 Go to next message
nancy is currently offline  nancy
Esquire
Hello, 1st I am new here and want to say thanks for such great Ideas!
Many years ago, when I was a younger woman, happenstance a pair of JVC 5341K. Never have I seen another pair but been looking for years. these had a meaty metal(altec) midrange horn and the most intereting woofers with these bulges in a 360 degree fashion. I think something from fostex similar at one point.

Well to get the point one of the mids went dead so I hussled off to the speaker city hoping they could fix it , oh maybe this is 10 years ago.
He sold me some very nasty pizo things that where not mids. So guess what ? I started reading all this stuff your guys designs and frankly the PI stuff is the only designs the would even come close to my old wonderful speakers.

I still have the cabs, and the crossovers. lovely back breaking walnut. these were a 4 way crossover with the so typical pots to attenuate the mids and highs.The crossovers are elaberate as far as anything I see in anything modern.

What I want is to make this cab usable the horn opening is 14.5x 4.5
with a decent 2 cubic foot below sealed. I know this about right for
alot of 12in drivers ported. but the opening for the horn? perhaps I can just seal it and use a horn on top?

Wayne! will you forgive me if I use your mid horn and a heil on top?
seems the to me that that air from the heil above 3k with what you have makes for what is called heaven .If....big one here we could just load the heil, to help the directivity? the throat is like 5.5 x 1.35? Maybe a bad idea.. but still no matter how much I look I cant find those mid horns that made everyone say , wow this music sounds good:)And yes I might dump the hiels and just buy your setup.

Re: Old JVC'S [message #45058 is a reply to message #45057] Sat, 24 July 2004 19:10 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

It sounds like you have a good speaker plan in mind. You'll need to find tweeters that crossover at 2kHz or below if you're planning to use the π midhorn. You might also consider crossing over to a 1" exit compression horn, because I've already worked out that implementation and I know it will work well for you. But there are lots of other good ways to do it.

Maybe use the midhorn and compression horn, but then crossover to a supertweeter above 6kHz or so. Perhaps your Heils could provide top-octave duty. Keep us posted on what you decide to do. It looks like you have an interesting project ahead of you.

Previous Topic: Finished my Stage Series 4 Pis!
Next Topic: Love my Pi 3 speakers
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu May 23 05:17:35 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout