Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Qustions regarding midrange horn.
Qustions regarding midrange horn. [message #45006] Mon, 19 July 2004 10:16 Go to next message
Frode is currently offline  Frode
Baron

Hi!
I haven't been active on the Pi forum for a while, but now some questions came up. I'm going to remove the vented LaScala bass cabinet from my Oris setup and use them in a second setup. Since I already have a pair of H290 horns, and Eminence and Beyma drivers for them, the new midrange horn would be perfect to complete the system. My LS is around 23.6" wide so I would like to make the horn a bit narrower. If I compensate this by making it taller, keeping the the mouth area constant, this wouldn't affect the sound much, would it? I would also like to use a plate amp for the LS, but most of these are filtered at 160Hz. Do you think this could work with the midrange horn?

TIA
Frode

Re: Qustions regarding midrange horn. [message #45011 is a reply to message #45006] Mon, 19 July 2004 16:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
That's a beautiful setup you have there!

Going down to 160Hz for the midhorn is a bit low. If placed in corners, it should do it but just. You'll be pushing it to the eighth-space limit.

More information is available here. Drawings for a cabinet that mounts nicely on a klipschorn are here.

Re: Qustions regarding midrange horn. [message #45020 is a reply to message #45011] Wed, 21 July 2004 04:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kupfer_m is currently offline  kupfer_m
Chancellor
Hi Wayne,

How does one calculate the angles of the wood for making a midhorn ?

Thanks,
Jim

Re: Qustions regarding midrange horn. [message #45022 is a reply to message #45020] Wed, 21 July 2004 05:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
For a straight sided horn, you basically set the angle you want for the dispersion pattern. At low frequencies, the flare will cease to set the radiation angle and the mouth will act more like a diffraction slot or pinhole, so the pattern will widen. The point where this occurs is determined by the size of the mouth. But for the most part, the wall angle sets the dispersion pattern.

Re: Qustions regarding midrange horn. [message #45026 is a reply to message #45022] Wed, 21 July 2004 10:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kupfer_m is currently offline  kupfer_m
Chancellor
Wayne,

I think I wasn't very clear in my question, I actually would like to know the angles to cut the wood itself for building the midrange horn as documented here on the forum.

thanks,
Jim

Re: Qustions regarding midrange horn. [message #45032 is a reply to message #45026] Wed, 21 July 2004 16:48 Go to previous message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Oh, I see now. Build-up discussions are probably best left to the cabinetmakers. But I think most people are using butt joints on the sides, and using a cut angle of (90 - (flare angle) / 2) on each joint to the baffle mounting plate. Maybe of the people who have built them will chime in and say how they're doing it.

Previous Topic: 4 PI Theater Plans
Next Topic: Pi 2 Towers: How Careful Do I Have to Be?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Jul 16 20:29:19 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Miller Audio