Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Anyone using Pis for their HT? If so what are you doing for surrounds and center?
Anyone using Pis for their HT? If so what are you doing for surrounds and center? [message #44956] Tue, 13 July 2004 20:09 Go to next message
James W. Johnson is currently offline  James W. Johnson
Master
nt

Re: Anyone using Pis for their HT? If so what are you doing for surrounds and center? [message #44957 is a reply to message #44956] Wed, 14 July 2004 07:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GarMan is currently offline  GarMan
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
I'm in the process of rebuilding mine to a pair of Theater 3's for HT use. From the test runs, they walk all over the Polks that I've been using, but a few steps down from the two channel setup. Stupid cr@ppy Sony reciever! For surrounds, I've got my beloved PI Ones. For Center, I'm using a speaker I picked up from a local shop, but I think a PI One would be a great choice. Resize it to 14Hx16Wx8D and you can fit the two drivers on top of each other on the front baffle.

Alternatively, being a big fan of the PI Ones, I think five of these plus a sub would make a pretty awesome HT speaker system.

Gar.

Re: Anyone using Pis for their HT? If so what are you doing for surrounds and center? [message #44959 is a reply to message #44957] Wed, 14 July 2004 10:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
James W. Johnson is currently offline  James W. Johnson
Master
A few steps down for 2 channel? ..What is your 2 channel set-up?

I am on my 3rd complete HT upgrade since I got into the hobby in 1998.
I'd definately require a center with the PSD-2002 to maintain the voicing across the front so panning is smooth.
I suppose I am going to have to hear my Stage 4 Pis first but if I like them I would be interested in a 3 or 4 Pi for center use and maybe some One Pis for surround duty.

First and foremost though these Stage 4 Pis must excel in 2 channel as well as HT because I cannot afford 2 systems.

I have been thru at least 7 or 8 pairs of main speakers since I got into this hobby so I pretty much expect each upgrade to at least be a lateral move..but I sort of am expecting an upward move with these Pis.

The link is some pics of my HT which is just my spare bedroom. :-)

http://home.comcast.net/~bentvalve/

Re: Anyone using Pis for their HT? If so what are you doing for surrounds and center? [message #44960 is a reply to message #44959] Wed, 14 July 2004 10:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GarMan is currently offline  GarMan
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
James, what I meant was that the speakers sounded a lot better in my 2-channel setup than my home theather. I switch between my ASL1001 (KT88 push/pull) and my DIY Gainclone and the PI's sound great there. In my HT, so-so, but I blame it on the $150 Sony receiver that I'm using. In any event, the PI's are still a lot better than the Polks I've been using for HT.

I have a suspicion that Sony rolls off the bass in the "natural" setting to give their "Bass Boost" function more impact. With this receiver, I have a choice of weak bass, or boomy bass to complement the screechy top-end. :-P One of the drawbacks of using revealing speakers with a crappy amp.

Wayne use to have a Premium 3PI, built around the Omega Pro 12" driver that would work very well with your Premimum 4's. For Center Channel, you don't need to go deep, so a smaller box could still work.

Gar.

Gar.

Re: Anyone using Pis for their HT? If so what are you doing for surrounds and center? [message #44962 is a reply to message #44956] Thu, 15 July 2004 03:36 Go to previous message
Oscarl is currently offline  Oscarl
Chancellor
I have been so busy the last year that I could not complete the project although I have all the parts and built and lined the boxes for the five speakers. Here it is:

2X 2Pi Towers
3X 1Pi (centre and surrounds)

I have not built the sub yet as I mainly watch music DVDs and my wife is not too keen about HT sound, but I'm looking at using the Eminence Delta LF (3pi??) with a subwoofer amp like the ones they sell at partsexpress. I am unfortunately in South Africa and can find a similar subwoofer amp nowhere. As soon as I build the box, I will pay more attention to the search.

I also don't have the HT amp yet but would most probably settle for a NAD or Denon.

Good Luck
Oscar

Previous Topic: Great Plains July 2004 Audio Club meeting photos
Next Topic: pialign.exe and XP
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Jun 15 23:27:50 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers