Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » the problem is tougher than I thought!!
the problem is tougher than I thought!! [message #44941] Mon, 12 July 2004 18:37 Go to next message
EZ_Angus is currently offline  EZ_Angus
Chancellor
on my altec-pi's, I was gonna jigsaw out a hole and surface mount my 416's. however, the back of the flange has a ton of little fins on it, so no way no how. I guess I gotta mount them on the inside of the baffle? that just seems so wrong to me. any advice on what size to cut the hole relative to the speaks? (i.e. just enough for cone and surround to show through?) This definitely means router, doesn't it? also, should I use the router to flare out the opening a little bit? jeez, this is making me nervous. I have the boxes all glued up except for the front panel where i need to mount the driver and attach the port. Kevin/EZ

Which 416s do you have? [message #44943 is a reply to message #44941] Mon, 12 July 2004 19:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wunhuanglo is currently offline  wunhuanglo
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
The -8B and -8C were meant for front or rear mounting - does the ribbing extend to the very edge of the frame?

Re: Which 416s do you have? [message #44945 is a reply to message #44943] Mon, 12 July 2004 21:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chancellor
I gots 8A's and there is no way to avoid the ribs and still get the screws into the wood. man if you have to inside mount them, how do you ever get them off?

Re: Which 416s do you have? [message #44946 is a reply to message #44945] Mon, 12 July 2004 23:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wunhuanglo is currently offline  wunhuanglo
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
The As have all those little triangles - I remember that now.

You might think about this - though Wayne hates it. Turn the speaker around - make the back the front. cut the hole to the inside diameter of the basket rim, maybe a bit smaller (a bit, like a 1/16" on the radius).

Put some scabs around the opening of the box that would have received the front, and plan to screw the back onto the scabs to make it removable. Now you can access the driver after installation.

You can still mount your port to the now-removable back - it really doesn't matter much where the port opening is unless you plan to flush them back against a wall.

Re: the problem is tougher than I thought!! [message #44947 is a reply to message #44941] Tue, 13 July 2004 00:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GM is currently offline  GM
Viscount
>on my altec-pi's, I was gonna jigsaw out a hole and surface mount my 416's. however, the back of the flange has a ton of little fins on it, so no way no how. I guess I gotta mount them on the inside of the baffle? that just seems so wrong to me.

====

Yeah, from a purely technical POV it's not a 'good plan', but most Altec designs were done this way and I can't recall anybody complaining about how bad it makes them sound. ;^)

====

>any advice on what size to cut the hole relative to the speaks? (i.e. just enough for cone and surround to show through?)

====

13.25" diameter for the -8A. Bolt holes on 14.56" diameter.

====

>This definitely means router, doesn't it?

====

Naw, just a steady hand. Mine were freehand cut with a cheap Black & Decker jigsaw. I wore it out cutting driver holes. ;^)

====

> also, should I use the router to flare out the opening a little bit?

====

Can if you want, but be careful, otherwise you won't leave enough wood to install the driver mounting hardware.

====

>jeez, this is making me nervous. I have the boxes all glued up except for the front panel where i need to mount the driver and attach the port. Kevin/EZ

====

Not to worry. Look carefully at my cab and you'll notice that each woofer is attached to its own removable mini-baffle. This makes for a very rigid mounting, though of course it requires more wood/gasketing.

Another benefit of this type of construction is that if your vent is fairly large and only baffle thickness, as most Altec designs were, then you can space the mini-baffle up off the cab to create a highly resistive slot vent, fine tuning it by stuffing acoustic foam in the slot, so use your imagination to make it work with your cab's dims.

The pic isn't very clear, but there's a removable vent baffle at the bottom also, but the screws are painted over, while the driver baffles had been removed and I haven't bothered to paint the new screws since this is just a temporary set-up.

GM

Re: the problem is tougher than I thought!! [message #44948 is a reply to message #44947] Tue, 13 July 2004 07:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chancellor
Hey GM: wow thanks again for a great post. I'll copy your solution, except I'm thinking to make my removable mini-baffle circular for aesthetic reasons. do you think that will screw up the sound?

Your diy VOTTS are cool. are you happy with them? what amplification / x-over are you using?

I hate stuffing so I'm planning to deflex panel the back wall and leave the rest nekkid, any thoughts on that plan?

thanks again man, I'm off to HD for more wood!

Re: the problem is tougher than I thought!! [message #44950 is a reply to message #44948] Tue, 13 July 2004 10:08 Go to previous message
GM is currently offline  GM
Viscount
>Hey GM: wow thanks again for a great post. I'll copy your solution, except I'm thinking to make my removable mini-baffle circular for aesthetic reasons. do you think that will screw up the sound?

====

You're welcome! No more so than mounting the driver on the rear.

====

>Your diy VOTTS are cool. are you happy with them? what amplification / x-over are you using?

====

No, not really, but then they're just a temporary solution with a mildly damped horn perched on top of a pair of cabs originally designed to 'pump up' the I hate stuffing so I'm planning to deflex panel the back wall and leave the rest nekkid, any thoughts on that plan?

====

I would do the top (or whicher end is opposite the vent) and at least one side also.

GM

Previous Topic: The Kits
Next Topic: Looking for veneer tips for my Pis
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Jul 12 11:18:21 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers