Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Coils! I must have coils!!!!!
Coils! I must have coils!!!!! [message #44789] Sat, 19 June 2004 14:14 Go to next message
Duncan McBride is currently offline  Duncan McBride
Baron

I have the Pi 8's lined up next to the Towers. I'm glad I left the Pi 2 Towers intact. I can switch between them, maybe you can see the switch in the gob of wires between the Bottleheads and the TT.

In anticipation of getting the 13microHenry coils and giving y'all some firsthand impressions, I'm practicing up articulating audio beaudacity and rewriting my bio.

Re: Coils! I must have coils!!!!! [message #44790 is a reply to message #44789] Sat, 19 June 2004 15:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
It will be nice to have a large stock of coils so they don't slow up orders. I can't believe how long we've been waiting for the first batch. How hard can they be to make?

Your speakers sure look great though, really inspiring. I'm finishing up with the eight π plans now, so others can build 'em too. I'm also waiting for Sheri to get done with some server work she's doing on ART, then I'm gonna give her some help with it later tonight and tomorrow morning.

Re: Coils! I must have coils!!!!! [message #44802 is a reply to message #44790] Tue, 22 June 2004 11:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill Wassilak is currently offline  Bill Wassilak
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Wayne,
You can always roll your own, only things needed are a varible speed drill a vice to hold the drill, magnetic wire, and epoxy. You can use sewing bobbins for the former to get the wire going. There's plenty of electronic charts out there that will give you the length of wire based on the bobbin size, gauge of wire and how many feet of wire you need to achive the proper inductance. Just keep track of how many revolutions on the drill.

Like you have time right. Projects like this I like to call a rainy day waste my time type of project.

Bill W.

Re: Coils! I must have coils!!!!! [message #44805 is a reply to message #44802] Tue, 22 June 2004 14:25 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

You're exactly right and thanks for suggesting it. In fact, there are formulas for calculating inductance of coils in a post called "crossover design... help...." So that will help a person wanting to roll their own.
Previous Topic: π midhorn for Klipschorn
Next Topic: wayne - followup from earlier on small cornerhorns
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Jul 30 05:36:00 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout