Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Seven Pi with Midhorn
Seven Pi with Midhorn [message #44740] Fri, 11 June 2004 09:07 Go to next message
Dean Kukral is currently offline  Dean Kukral
Master
The Seven Pi 15" woofer is about 18" wide, and the midhorn is about 24" wide, so that they do not match vertically. It would be more esthetically pleasing if they matched, like the Eight Pi.

I wonder if it would be possible to make the woofer box shorter but wider. One would have to take into account the compression volume, throat opening area, the cone flair rate could be the same, and the final mouth opening area. (Not sure if the terms are quite correct.)

I suppose it would also be possible to add wings to the box, so that it would be trapezoidal, but this would change the flair rate and mouth area. (I like the idea of making the box shorter better.)

Has any thought been given to this? Are these parameters crucial to the sound?

Re: Seven Pi with Midhorn [message #44742 is a reply to message #44740] Fri, 11 June 2004 09:44 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
The horn fits perfectly on top of seven π-18 speakers, which are those using 18" woofers. On those cabinets, the sides are the same width.

seven π-18 cornerhorn

But on the smaller cornerhorns with 15" woofers, the midhorn is a little wider.

seven π cornerhorn

I put the midhorn on my seven π speakers, and it really looks pretty good.

seven π cornerhorn, midrange horn close-up

I had originally hoped to make a smaller midhorn for the seven π speakers that wasn't as wide but two things made me change my mind. The first is that the midhorn really needed the size to get bottom end response. It's pushing it even with this larger size and they need boundary reinforcement. The second thing is that when I placed them on the seven π cabinet, they actually looked pretty good.

Previous Topic: 8 Pi speakers
Next Topic: Thermionic 3Pi with midrange horn ?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Jul 25 09:30:08 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Miller Audio