Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » 8pi update
8pi update [message #44625] Sun, 16 May 2004 09:22 Go to next message
Duncan McBride is currently offline  Duncan McBride
Baron

It's taking me longer than I thought, but there's progress. I thought anybody interested in the 8pi would like to see a nearly framed up pair. I have the back to finish - the plan is to make it removable. I'm also thinking I'll use wood screws and a gasket to make the front baffle removable. I think the dimensions are pretty close to what Wayne intended, 24 wide, 16 deep and 36 tall. Halfway back the sides break and taper to 12 inches wide at the back. Total volume is 7 cu ft, but the horn and material takes up about 1.2 cu ft, and I've recessed the front baffle 1" so it should be down to around 5.5 cu ft. The front ports are 1.375 circles ( I didn't have a 1-5/8 cutter) cut on 3" centers and the ovals cut with a saber saw. That works out real close to 16.8 sq inches total area, per Wayne's recommendations.

I'm putting a page up with all the pictures I've taken. This has been fun. Let me know if you have any questions, or suggestions to make the descriptions more helpful.

Re: 8pi update [message #44626 is a reply to message #44625] Sun, 16 May 2004 09:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
spkrman57
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Great pics. I am one of those who have problems seeing a drawing and interpeting to see the final result. You have solved that for me.

I would like to try and build something like the 8 pi for a secondary system down the road.

I would like to say hi to Wayne and the others, I have been busy with a lot of things lately and not posted here recently, but do take the time to read the posts when I can. Not Pi system, but I am taking the plunge and waiting for my Edgarhorn system parts to be shipped from Ca, Bruce is still finishing my horns yet.

I am looking at reassembling my 4 Pi clone(2226 and 902 on Edgarhorn). It is interesting how I fought the urge to use 1.6Khz crossovers back a couple of years ago, but I have been experimenting with lower crossovers, even using different tricks to help them along. In the end, I see that is the best for my 2 ways with horns.

Later, Ron

Stunning! [message #44627 is a reply to message #44625] Sun, 16 May 2004 17:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Those are stunning, Duncan. The rounded ports are a nice touch. Nice write up on your website too. Thanks for posting it here!

Re: 8pi update [message #44628 is a reply to message #44626] Sun, 16 May 2004 18:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Hello Ron, Your post is very intrigueing but a little difficult to decipher. Would you explain the last part, are you in fact using lower xover points with different eq or do you mean you have accepted the 1.6k point? Does the edgarhorn system hornload the bass? The Altec 902 can cross at 800 cycles comfortably where are you crossing? Thanks for looking, J.R.

Re: 8pi update [message #44629 is a reply to message #44628] Sun, 16 May 2004 21:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
spkrman57
Illuminati (1st Degree)
J.R.,
Thanks, I was attempting to say that I found the 1.6Khz crossover to be the best solution for 1" compression drivers. My Edgarhorns that I ordered are "midbass" horns, they are straight 80hz wooden rectangular horns, I will use a 350hz tractix round salad bowl horn and a Fane tweeter.

By the way, another project of mine will to use a JBL 4648 cabinet (8 cu' tuned to 40hz) using one 2226J and a Edgarhon where the other 2226 would go. Not sure if I want to try a sealed system and powered sub, or a EBS alignment. Too many things going on now to worry about at the moment. but will find out one of these days.

Ron

Re: 8pi update [message #44630 is a reply to message #44629] Sun, 16 May 2004 21:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Good to see you, Ron. I was wonderin' what you'd been up to these days.

Re: 8pi update [message #44634 is a reply to message #44630] Mon, 17 May 2004 14:26 Go to previous message
spkrman57
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Hi Wayne,
I'm not as free to play with my audio systems as a couple of years ago, hope I'm not loosing my edge on all this. I think I will be able to find more time at least by fall season. Nice chatting with you again.
Ron

Previous Topic: bizzaro
Next Topic: Speaker on the Beach
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Jun 07 09:00:25 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers