Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Help a single driver noob
Help a single driver noob [message #44551] Sun, 02 May 2004 20:44 Go to next message
jeffh is currently offline  jeffh
Esquire
This is my first post here. I'm not new to diy speakers, but I am new to single drivers and tubes. I've built the following:
2 sets of Audax HT speakers
1 18" cylinder sub
1 12" sealed sub
1 set of MBOW1s
1 set of Dayton 2-ways

I recently got the tube bug and ordered a Bottlehead Foreplay preamp kit and two really inexpensive S5 Electronics monoblock tube amp kits that make 8w each. If anyone is familiar with the S5, it is now available in monoblock form. I'll be implementing the S5 mods that are available on the net and building nice cabinets.

My question: I don't know nothin 'bout buildin no single driver speakers. All I know is Fostex. I've also looked at the Adire HE10. Th 2-pi kit at $60/speaker is almost a no-brainer. How can I go wrong with that? However, I really want to get some input from those in the know.
Thanks,
Jeff

Re: Help a single driver noob [message #44553 is a reply to message #44551] Mon, 03 May 2004 03:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
You'll get deeper bass from the two π speakers. You probably saw this recent post, but if not, you might wanna read it. It was in response to a comparison between the little π's and single driver speakers.

I really like the Fostex 206e and the little Adire HE10.1 is nice too. But I prefer two π speakers to either of them, and if not, I'd make a Fostex-based one π and an Eminence Beta based two π. Nice thing is that each of these speakers are available, so a guy has plenty of good choices. You really can't go wrong with any of them, especially when used with a system like you describe. Each is perfect for that system, and they all sound very good.

Having said all that, build a pair of two π towers and report back to us what you think. 'Cause I think you're right, it's a no-brainer.

Re: Help a single driver noob [message #44556 is a reply to message #44553] Mon, 03 May 2004 09:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jeffh is currently offline  jeffh
Esquire
Wayne,
Thanks for the reply. Also, you are correct, I did read the post that you mentioned. Is there a place on this site with the plans for the tower?
Thanks
Jeff

You've got mail! [message #44558 is a reply to message #44556] Mon, 03 May 2004 10:36 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Previous Topic: midhorn kit? and some design choices
Next Topic: Midrange horn question
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Sep 12 12:16:43 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers