Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Pi 4 differences/ whos using a 811B?
Pi 4 differences/ whos using a 811B? [message #44502] Mon, 26 April 2004 10:53 Go to next message
taylor is currently offline  taylor
Chancellor
Hi,
I recently acquired some 811Bs and have had thoughts of building a Model 19 type speaker. I came across a picture of a Pi 4 (I think), using a 811B and 80X driver that looked like what I'd like. So I surfed a bit and here I am.

My questions are what is the difference between the Omega Pro and the JBL 2226 version,sound quality wise, and does the use of the JBL 2426 vs the PS2002 allow a lower xover point for a 811b (using the supplied crossovers)? The Eminence looks like it prefers a higher point and the JBL is happy at 800.

General impressions of the all JBL version vs. the Eminence would be appreciated.

thx
taylor

Re: Pi 4 differences/ whos using a 811B? [message #44507 is a reply to message #44502] Mon, 26 April 2004 16:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
There are many people here using Altec 811B horns. It's an excellent HF horn. Do a search for "Altec" or "811" and you'll find many posts.

I'd recommend a 1kHz crossover point for the 811B. You can also use a 1.2kHz or 1.6kHz crossover, each of these are common crossover points. Your choice will likely be dictated by your compression driver and your midwoofer.

The Altec 811B is an excellent horn, one of the best. One problem that you can run into is bell mode ringing around 1kHz. Mounting on a baffle and applying damping materials helps. Another technique is to cut the welds to destress the horn, similar to cracking a bell to prevent it from ringing. But in spite of these things, the Altec 811B is a great horn that provides great on-axis response.

As for midwoofers, I really like the Eminence Omega 15 and think it's an overlooked driver. It's not what I'd suggest for low-power tube amps, but for a more powerful system, it's an excellent part for the money. Response is good and it sounds nice.

On the other hand, the Omega 15 is not really in the same class as the 2226, because the JBL part is flux stabilized. The Eminence Magnum 15HO is a better comparison with the JBL 2226. The Omega 15 sounds very nice, but you can really hear the difference from a flux stabilized woofer. I'd say that of the woofers that aren't flux stabilized, Eminence has done a fine job and has some of the best parts of that type. But the difference afforded by the shorting ring is immediately noticeable. Woofers with shorting rings generally costs twice as much though too.

Looks like JBL gets the nod [message #44515 is a reply to message #44507] Tue, 27 April 2004 15:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
taylor is currently offline  taylor
Chancellor
Thanks for the info. I guess you get what you pay for (usually) and the JBL components, although pricey, represent the high end in performance.

taylor

Re: Looks like JBL gets the nod [message #44516 is a reply to message #44515] Tue, 27 April 2004 16:28 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Yes, I'd say so. Check the Eminence Magnum line too, as it uses the same technology. The secret is the shorting ring, because most distortion is from magnetic asymmetry. Flux stabilization often drops 2nd harmonics -10dB to -20dB.

Previous Topic: Pi One and Pi Two comparison
Next Topic: entertainment centers and speaker placement
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Jun 29 09:39:04 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout