Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Wayne, corners, how far is too far?
Wayne, corners, how far is too far? [message #44475] Fri, 23 April 2004 21:04 Go to next message
ToFo is currently offline  ToFo
Master
I have always been fond of the Pi cornerhorn design and with the mid-horn I am thinking big bass, without mid/high compromise. Perhaps a Stage or Premium Stage 7Pi 18. My prob is simple. The only suitable corners are way apart, like 20 feet plus. and I would be about 12-15 feet away most of the time. I haven't been as much a sweetspotter since I completed my Theater Fours and I want the 7's mostly for more punch when I entertain and for personal rocking out so I think it may be fine. I just don't want the worlds largest set or headphones, or for every recording to sound like early stereo(full pan Beatles stereo). I want cornerhorns, but it is a big project to build if they don't work out so far apart. Do you have any experience with wider than deep setups and your cornerhorns?

I will likely build the midhorns soon enough so I can put them and my CH-3's on top of my T-4's backwards just to get a clue, but I can't wait to know if you have any experiences to site.

Re: Wayne, corners, how far is too far? [message #44476 is a reply to message #44475] Fri, 23 April 2004 23:51 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
I've run these things both ways, along the narrow wall and along the wide wall. As you might expect, it's usually most pleasant when the room depth/width ratio is somewhere between 1.5-to-1 and 1.7-to-1. But I've also had them in rooms that were more than twice as long as they were wide. The "sweet spot" is a pretty wide area, really.

Generally, in the situation where a room is much longer than it is wide, I like to have the speakers installed in the corners at each end of a short wall, and then the preferred listening areas are in the half to two-thirds of the room nearest the speakers. But they can be installed in the far corners too, putting the best listening area roughly centered and back near the opposing wall.

Honestly, being 20 feet apart doesn't concern me. That's no problem at all. But how far back are we talking about here? You mention that you'd be 12 to 15 feet back, so I would assume that your room must extend deeper than 15 feet. If that's the case, you're really not in too bad shape.

I'd go with the seven π-18, just as you've suggested. You can use a JBL 2241H or 2245H, or you can use a Magnum 18LF. The cabinet is basically the same for any of these, being 7.5ft3 and tuned to 30Hz.

You can also use the JBL 2242 or Eminence Kilomax 18. The Omega 18 or Magnum 18HO can be used as well, and they generate an EBS alignment when used in this cabinet. It works very well with the corner gain, but using a slightly larger duct that tunes to 40Hz is also an option with these two drivers. That will give a little bit flatter response at the expense of slightly reduced extension.

All of these are suitable drivers and you can expect performance to be quite good. I would suggest using a 5mH coil in series with the woofer, and the mid/hi crossover as described in the π midrange horn implementation post.

Previous Topic: Studio PI Plans, Calling Wayne
Next Topic: T-shirts?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Jun 06 22:07:53 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout