Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Which Pi model is most like the Altec A7?
Which Pi model is most like the Altec A7? [message #44416] Sun, 18 April 2004 17:10 Go to next message
edta is currently offline  edta
Esquire
It was recommended By Bill Fitzmaurice at Audio Asylum pro that I check out the Pi speakers. I'm looking for a fairly efficient speaker I can use with my 30 wpc Pass Aleph.

I'm totally at sea, after looking at the Pi models. Looking for a point of reference is why I asked about the A7s.

I heard the A7s quite a few times many years ago. Even in theaters and auditoriums when I was kid. I never thought they were the most transparent speaker, but I never heard them powered by decent electronics either. All in all, an excellent speaker, if not the ultimate.

Are there any Pi models that sound more transparent than the A7s, keeping the A7s great midrange and dynamics?

Re: Which Pi model is most like the Altec A7? [message #44417 is a reply to message #44416] Sun, 18 April 2004 18:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adrian Mack is currently offline  Adrian Mack
Illuminati (1st Degree)
http://www.audioroundtable.com/PiSpeakers/messages/14411.html

Re: Which Pi model is most like the Altec A7? [message #44422 is a reply to message #44416] Mon, 19 April 2004 15:00 Go to previous message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Hi EDTA, Allow me to chime in as I have fair amount of experience with A7's and I also have owned Pi Theater 4's now for a year. I also listen to Valencias which I have had for 15 years. In your post you ask specifically about the sound and you don't mention size or cost so I will offer my humble opinion of those qualities. The Pi's I own are the middle of the pack in terms of cost, with the delta woofers and psd 2002 drivers. The A7's are limited in the frequency extremes and they are much more relaxed with low power tube electronics. I have never liked Altecs with SS amps. They require lot of space to open up and can sound somewhat restricted in small rooms. They image but not as well as the Pi's. The Pi's resolve detail better and certainly image better presenting a wide and deep soundstage with careful positioning. The Pi's have a punchy authority that engages all types of music well. The Pi's are seamless through the mids where the Altecs can sound partitioned. The Pi's sound good with SS or tubes even though I prefer them with tubes. Lest you think this review is a valentine to the Pi's, yes I like them and think they are the great bargain of the age in speakers but the Altecs have some qualities of their own. They are organic, meaning they reproduce acoustic sounds in a real manner that nothing else does. Piano, female voices, and above all stand up bass sound 3dimensional and the tone is musical. To sum up I have only heard the 4's so I am not an authority on Pi speakers since the 4's are one of the less expensive models. So would I try to build a system around A7's, no, it's too much work, money and inconvienence when for almost no expense you can own one of the better model Pi's and if the 4's I own are indicative of the house sound you get equivelent quality as the Altecs with the convienence of being able to use SS gear and build them with the finish of your choice. You also have factory support and advice available. Hope this helps. You can e-mail for more specifics if you are interested. (I have no connection with the Pi outfit other than as an owner of their speakers and am not writing this in the hopes that Wayne sends me a free t-shirt size small.)

Previous Topic: Hi Wayne
Next Topic: 8 Pi with Alpha 10
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Aug 06 20:28:35 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout