Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Subwoofer project update
But...... [message #44286 is a reply to message #44285] Fri, 02 April 2004 19:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adrian Mack is currently offline  Adrian Mack
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Perhaps the vent on the LAB12 is too big though, and decreasing the amount of air which can be drawn in and out over the voice coil. So in fact, reducing the vent size on the MAG12 could be a 'correction' to the LAB12's vent.

I assume though that they didn't stuff up the vent on the LAB12 and that they considered it being larger to be better, and backed by some sort of experiments.

Re: Subwoofer project update [message #44292 is a reply to message #44267] Sat, 03 April 2004 04:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Tako Tamas is currently offline  Tako Tamas
Esquire
Hi,

Nice to see, you are all thinking a lot about the MAG12...
I think I'v seen some speakers from eminence and of course from VOLT, that had heat sink in the front of the speakers. In the case of the LABhorn it means that the heat can be dissipated in the horn (free air) and not only in the closed box (back chamber). I think this could be a good improovement regarding cooling. If the speaker itself will have less distortion with the added stabilizing ring than the LAB12 while maintaining all the TS parameters and Mechanical dimensions like diameter, hole ring diameter, overall height, self Volume, etc and getting even cooler, this vould be great!!!
Regarding noise/distortion caused by the air vent's air flow and the very close aluminium cover, it vould be nice to mage the vent opening more rounded maybe. But increasing the distance of the cover plate by 1-2 mm will help also.

Thanks,

Tako Tamas

Re: But...... [message #44297 is a reply to message #44286] Sat, 03 April 2004 09:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Yeah, could be. I've pondered the same sort of questions you have. Eminence uses Klippel measurement systems, as well as those from LMS, Clio and Audio Precision. They use Ansoft/Maxwell FEA for magnetic analysis of their motor structures. So they've got all the right engineering tools to really see what's going on. I'm hoping that the results are positive on the new structure, but if not, we'll just move on to the one with the rings in the plates. Either way, I'm excited to be involved in this project, and pleased that we'll have a good flux-stabilized subwoofer available soon.

Re: Subwoofer project update [message #44298 is a reply to message #44292] Sat, 03 April 2004 09:40 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Eminence makes their Kilomax series with venting in the front and the back. The voice coil cover is a heat sink attached to the pole piece rather than a cap attached to the cone. The rear venting is done with several radially spaced holes rather than one large central port. However, the MAG12 is going to have a central rear port.

A MAG12 prototype has already been made and will be tested next week. It is basically a LAB12 that's been machined to accept a shorting ring and steel added to the core to maintain flux levels. If it meets specs, we will be able to go into production immediately. If not, Eminence will make a second prototype that has the shorting ring in the plate, allowing for a larger cooling vent. However, this will take longer to develop and may cost more, so we're all hoping the first prototype performs well.

Previous Topic: wiring
Next Topic: how about open baffle for 12" midbass driver?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Jul 13 08:51:11 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Miller Audio