Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Wayne, what are you up to with the mag12?
Wayne, what are you up to with the mag12? [message #44294] Sat, 03 April 2004 07:31 Go to previous message
Erik from Holland is currently offline  Erik from Holland
Baron
Hi Wayne and the PI-gang,

You haven`t heard lot from me lately, but i`m still now and than snooping the internet for new idea`s.
When i contacted you on the forum for a year ago, you where`nt into my quistions about manifold subs and so on.
But know your interrested in what the people on LAB-forum do, and that makes me wonder, what are you up to.

Let me tell you, in my busines with drive-in shows combined with self build speakers, whe walk into the same design-problems for years now.
Small and light subs don`t have enough output for large gigs, but do spear our backs. Use of double 15" cabinets, makes that you can't put more than 2 subs per side, combined with the top-speaker make insufficient stack hight.
Larger heavier subs have suffisient output, combined with a matching top speaker make a great stack, but ask to much effort put in transport and carrying. For smaller gigs they are far to big.

By my meanings the reason for Lab to build the lab-horn is to create a cabinet that will go as loud or louder as large 18" cabinets, with use of less space. And lighter cabinets, 2 lab12 speakers plus cabinet, must be lighter than double 18 cab.

Still i think the lab sub is to large, and more ment for use in larger venneus. stacking them above 3 per side makes them most efficient. I would be very interrested in a sub that`s smaller, that combines the benifits of using a 12" over a 18", as in weight. Put in a horn loaded application, whats designed smaller than the labsub. And by my meanings the bandpass-horn principle of a manifold-like sub will do in this case. The high output of a horn, together with low extensions of bandpas, make a good team.
Design a sub that when stacked with 2 per side on larger venneus, and has great output to be sufficient for 1000 people, but when used single on smaller events still makes a good stack, that would be great!

Sorry for my poor English,

Erik

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message