Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » help on Beyma 12" midbass driver enclosure
help on Beyma 12" midbass driver enclosure [message #44260] Wed, 31 March 2004 04:16 Go to next message
adkins is currently offline  adkins
Chancellor
I have a Beyma 12" driver 12G320 which I plan to use for Midbass in my setup. Planned frequency of operation is from 100hz-1.2khz.
I am thinking of a box size of 60liter, can this enclosure go down to around 80hz flat? I only get flat to 200hz in WINISD but I am planning to run this driver from 100hz-1khz. Can you guys provide me with some advise? This driver also shows a major hump in the lower bass around 70-90hz I think, maybe this driver is designed to run above 200hz? Can anyone help me verify this figure? Below is the T/S for the Beyma if anyone is interested to run it in a professional software

Is it o.k. to use the 18" driver all the way upto 200hz or maybe even 300hz? Will doing this require much more power from my subwoofer amplifier or limit its lower freq. extension? Or degrade the sound in any way?

BEYMA 12G320 T/S
QTS= .18
Vas=62liter
Fs=52hz
Re=6.2ohms
Le=.7
Xmaxx=1.5mm
Z=8
Qms=2.58
Qes=.2
SPL=104db
Pe=150w
BL=none supplied
Dia=12"
Sd= 530 (not sure what this is, mm or inch)

THANKS IN ADVANCE for any advise!!

Re: help on Beyma 12" midbass driver enclosure [message #44261 is a reply to message #44260] Wed, 31 March 2004 04:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adrian Mack is currently offline  Adrian Mack
Illuminati (1st Degree)
G'day Adkins

Sorry for not replying to email.

By the way, each time you've given different T/S specs for the G320. I gave you a box reccomendation over the email for this driver awhile ago, but calculated with the other set of T/S specs you gave me. This is actually the 3rd set of T/S data you've given for this same driver...... are you absolutely sure that these are the correct TS parameters now?

The very low Qts of the driver unfortunately makes any box volume at all have a cutoff above 100Hz.

> This driver also shows a major hump in the lower bass around 70-
> 90hz I think, maybe this driver is designed to run above 200hz?

Thats about right. If its peaking at 70-90Hz its because you've oversized the box in attempt to gain a lower F3 frequency. It is not something I would do, as peaks are unwanted for one thing, and transient response becomes poor.

I'd suggest another driver be choosen instead. Earlier, you gave me some T/S specs for the G320 over the email. They are different from the ones you have posted here. Using the previous T/S data you gave me, it modelled up well and I suggested that you can use this driver. But now, assuming that those T/S specs were wrong and the ones you have just posted are correct, I do not suggest you use this driver at all because it does not suit your application.

> Is it o.k. to use the 18" driver all the way upto 200hz or maybe
> even 300hz? Will doing this require much more power from my
> subwoofer amplifier or limit its lower freq. extension? Or degrade
> the sound in any way?

As we aleady discussed, you'll be having the 18" driver in a seperate cabinet as a subwoofer. Crossover must be kept at 100Hz or preferably lower, with at least 4th order filter slope to ensure that it's pretty much non-directional.

If you did cross at 300Hz, not only would it quite distinctly seem like a seperate source from the rest of the system, but theres a huge chance frequency response will be highly non-uniform/irregular as well. I'm sure I've discussed to you before about phase and diffraction stuff, quite a lot, so you should pretty much know this by now.

Adrian

12G320 [message #44274 is a reply to message #44261] Wed, 31 March 2004 19:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chancellor
My dealer told me that the T/S of either the 12G350 and the 12G125 are comparable with the 12G320, so the first T/S I supplied you is for the 12G350 and the next one is for the 12G125, but recently I saw the T/S of the 12G320 in a european site which has a qts of .18 but I am not absolutley sure if this is correct or the official specs. I have really no idea, our local dealer can't seem to get the official specs from Beyma for some reason. I'll get back to you when I have more news from my dealer

subwoofer box will be placed below the main speakers [message #44279 is a reply to message #44261] Wed, 31 March 2004 22:49 Go to previous message
Chancellor
I actually plan to position my subwoofer box just below the rest of the main speakers which will be 68" tall total. I Will be listening around 16feet away, will I still get some problems with these setup? I am kind of stuck with these driver since they do not have any other 12" midbass driver from Beyma. My only concern is that if I cross the 18" at around 200hz, what effect will this have on the overall sound, will crossing over at 200hz affect the low freq. extension?

Previous Topic: Compensation Network connection
Next Topic: wiring
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Jun 12 05:54:46 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout