Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Subwoofer project
Subwoofer project [message #44241] Thu, 25 March 2004 17:32 Go to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Chris Rose contacted me this week to say that the engineers are working on the subwoofer project. The requirements are that it have 2nd harmonic distortion components that are reduced at least 10dB from their other subwoofers. This will be their first subwoofer to use a flux stabilization ring, and the goal is to have 2nd harmonic less than -45dB between 50Hz and 100Hz, baffle mounted with 40 watts RMS input. The specified electro-mechanical parameters are shown below. Now we've just got to fund this thing and give it a name.

The proposed driver is suitable for use in bass-reflex subwoofer cabinets between 2ft3 and 6ft3, tuned to 22Hz. It is also perfect for use in basshorns, and is an ideal replacement for the LABhorn. It is designed to have the same electro-mechanical specs as the LAB12 and be a high-fidelity alternative. If you'd like to see how and why this woofer is improved by the use of a flux stabilization ring, see the post called "Magnet structures".

This project just sort of fell into my lap, and it is moving very rapidly. Dan Rilo asked for a subwoofer with a flux stabilization ring in the "massive subwoofer" thread on the ProSpeakers forum. It occured to me that there aren't many really great subwoofers made these days, and there seems to be a hole in the market. So I thought there's be no harm to ask Eminence about it. They are willing to build this device, but only if there is a commitment for 100 units.

Right now, Chris has the Eminence engineering department researching the issue to make sure it is possible. If so, they will provide a quote for tooling and for production. We will have to pay for tooling in full, and half down on purchase of the first 100 speakers. We will be given 4 evaluation units, which are already tenatively promised out to Brad Litz. At that time, I'll post the prices and start taking orders. If we have enough interest to generate 100 down payments, I'll enter into an agreement with Eminence to get them started on production.

We'll need everyone that is looking for a subwoofer in the $200 range to step up to the plate on this one. I've already received E-Mail requests for about 150 units, but many of these orders are tenative. That's not good enough, in order to make this a reality we need commitments. The first 100 drivers ordered will be sold at wholesale cost in order to fund this project, but we'll need prepayment at the time of your order.

We don't have prices yet, so we don't need your money now. But we will have this information very shortly and will be taking orders. To get the wholesale cost deal, you'll need to be in on the initial 100 speakers ordered.

Requirements - Preliminary Specifications:

Nominal Basket Diameter
Impedance
Power Rating
Resonance
Sensitivity
Magnet Weight
Voice Coil Diameter
Overall Diameter
Baffle Hole Diameter
Front Sealing Gasket
Rear Sealing Gasket
Mounting Holes Diameter
Mounting Holes B.C.D.
Depth
Resonant Frequency (fs)
Impedance (Re)
Coil Inductance (Le)
Electromagnetic Q (Qes)
Mechanical Q (Qms)
Total Q (Qts)
Compliance Equivalent Volume (Vas)
Mechanical Compliance of Suspension (Cms)
BL Product (BL)
Diaphragm Mass inc. Airload (Mms)
Equiv. Resistance of Mechanical Suspension Loss (Rms)
Efficiency Bandwidth Product (EBP)
Voice Coil Overhang (Xmax)
Surface Area of Cone (Sd)
Maximum Mechanical Limit (Xmech)

12", 304.8mm
6 ohms
400Wrms, 800Wpeak
22Hz
160 oz.
2.5", 63.5mm
12.32", 312.8mm
10.98, 278.9mm
yes
yes
0.26", 6.6mm
11.77, 298.9mm
6.44", 163.6mm
22Hz
4.29 ohms
1.48mH
4.42ft3, 125.22 liters
0.35mm/N
15.0 T-M
146 grams
1.54N*sec/M
13mm
506.7cm2
44mm

Re: Subwoofer project [message #44242 is a reply to message #44241] Thu, 25 March 2004 21:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
djstan is currently offline  djstan
Chancellor
I would be interested in your sub project. Question? Assuming it
is somewhat similar to the Labhorn, is this sub:
1) suitable for DJ sound systems
2) what would be the estimated Maximum SPL and efficiency
3) would it be a suitable match for the PI Theatre or Professional
series

Re: Subwoofer project [message #44244 is a reply to message #44242] Fri, 26 March 2004 01:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mike.e is currently offline  Mike.e
Illuminati (1st Degree)
1) yes
2) 135dbA levels , ~105db average efficiency(depends on freq)

www.prosoundweb.com/lsp
http://camphuisen.com

Re: Subwoofer project [message #44246 is a reply to message #44242] Fri, 26 March 2004 07:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
The device is a subwoofer that can be used in a 2ft3 to 6ft3 ported cabinet or in a basshorn such as the LABhorn. This subwoofer is a high-fidelity option to the LAB12. It is being designed by Eminence who makes the LAB12, and it will be built by Eminence. It is essentially a better quality high-fidelity version of the LAB12 woofer.

The requirements for the device are that it have the same electro-mechanical properties as the LAB12 but at least -10dB less distortion through the use of a flux stabilization ring. Since power capacity is the same, you can use it for pro sound. You can also use it for home or car applications. It's just a higher quality, higher fidelity woofer than the LAB12, and the price is not going to be much more at all.

Re: Subwoofer project [message #44248 is a reply to message #44244] Fri, 26 March 2004 17:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adrian Mack is currently offline  Adrian Mack
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Thanks for that link! I like the info about power compression, man, I always knew it was a big deal. Remember we talked about it on another forum and some people said that on music and in a home environment, power compression is a useless number? :P I knew they wern't right....

Tom Danley on Power Compression

I wonder what air cooling ventillation and heatsinks will be like in the MAG12... it would need to be of the same level as pro sound drivers are if one is to avoid the greatly non linear affects of power compression. Wayne, do you know anything about this about the MAG12?

Re: Subwoofer project [message #44249 is a reply to message #44248] Fri, 26 March 2004 18:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
The requirements of the new subwoofer state that it must be equivalent to the LAB12 in all areas except distortion, where it must better the LAB12 by at least -10dB. Matching spec requirements include power handling, compression, efficiency and maximum SPL. If it does not meet these goals, then it has not passed requirements and will be rejected.

These are realistic goals though, and I would be surprised if it didn't do this and more. I'm hoping for more like 15dB reduction in 2HD. The next coolest thing is cost. Chris said cost would potentially be low enough he was concerned that the new woofer's pricing might make it overly competitive with the LAB12. That translates to -15dB improvement in distortion for almost no additional cost.

Re: Subwoofer project update [message #44256 is a reply to message #44241] Tue, 30 March 2004 05:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
April progress update [message #44412 is a reply to message #44241] Sat, 17 April 2004 10:40 Go to previous message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Previous Topic: B12 Subwoofer Project Update
Next Topic: Hi Wayne
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Sep 18 06:26:46 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers