Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Breaking them in
Breaking them in [message #43988] Wed, 18 February 2004 08:22 Go to previous message
Larry Acklin is currently offline  Larry Acklin
Baron
-So I got in a couple of Selenium D205TI drivers and PE 270-099 horn lenses, to be used in the 4 PI "trap" enclosure project. I hooked up one with a 1100 Hz 12 db/octave crossover, using one of the stereo speakers as the bottom. Put in 3 CD's, with a wide range of female voices, set on random play, and sat back.

Impressions- I was initally horrified at the quality- a HUGE peak at about 3.5-4 Khz, very "shouty", and difficult to listen to. Over the next three hours, both I and my wife noted that the response smoothed out to a huge degree. The difference was so apparent, even my wife(who is not blessed with "golden ears") was agreeing. The upper registers, the sibilants, the hissss of the cymbals, all opened up, and the response peak at 4K disappeared.

Loud? Yea. We got it... 75W RMS when crossed over at 2kHZ or above.
On the horn I used, it was about 6 db more than I needed , so I was listening mostly to the horn- but I did have the 6DB/octave top end compensation in the crossover (an EV professional piece)

Overall, for about $58.00, a good value.

I knew woofers need breakin, the tweeks claim even wire does, but I never heard a compression driver change so much in the first few hours. (course, these were new, and I buy lots of used stuff...)

Larry Acklin

Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Re: Karlson Kabs?
Next Topic: JBL 2205 vs. 2225
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Jul 13 04:50:56 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio