Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » 2 pi tower placement
2 pi tower placement [message #43707] Sat, 17 January 2004 14:59 Go to next message
Duncan McBride is currently offline  Duncan McBride
Baron
I'm listening to my just completed towers and I'm really pleased with the sound. More than really pleased. This has been so rewarding I'm having fun figuring out what I want to build next.

I need to move some furniture to experiment with placement so before I did that I went to review the instructions. On the site here it says the bass reflex and folding horns are insensitive to placement. I'm thinking with the rear port the towers will be sensitive to how far they are from the walls or corners - any guidelines here?

2nd question - When I go to veneer the cabinets, I could also route the hole to recess the woofer - is there any reason not to? Thanks, Duncan McBride

Re: 2 pi tower placement [message #43708 is a reply to message #43707] Sat, 17 January 2004 17:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill Martinelli is currently offline  Bill Martinelli
Illuminati (1st Degree)

Routing a recess is a nice touch for looks and if you make it a flush mount you might pick up a little baffle diffraction bennefit. For a standard 3/4" thick baffle I like to make a 3/16-1/4 deep recess. Rout in the recess pocket first with a 3/4" cutter. Then core through for the basket hole with your 1/4" cutter.

Remember if your using a routing jig like the Jasper that the dimensions are for a 1/4" cutter so you have to recalculate for a 3/4" cutter

For a flush mount its pretty much the same. You just need to have a double baffle (two layers) so you can rout the recess posket deep enough for the driver to sit flush.

Bill

Re: 2 pi tower placement [message #43713 is a reply to message #43707] Sun, 18 January 2004 04:11 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
One π, two π, three π and four π speakers are all designed for 1.0π (quarter-space) placement, which is near the junction of two room boundaries. Five π, six π and seven π speakers are all designed for 0.5π (eighth-space) placement, which is room corners.

Previous Topic: 4PI: 15" vs 18" versions.
Next Topic: rooms
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Jul 13 07:39:19 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout