Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » 4PI: 15" vs 18" versions.
How high do you need to go? (A bit long.) [message #43702 is a reply to message #43697] Sat, 17 January 2004 05:57 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Dean Kukral is currently offline  Dean Kukral
Master
Speaking of 1" verses 2" drivers brings up another point for me. A good 1" driver can hit 16K or 18K which is plenty for me but some cry out for cd's to reach 22K and above. I wonder how high one (me) really needs to go.

I wondered just how high I could hear. I hooked up an Eico audio generator and, also, a Lodestar function generator to a set of TV speakers to see how high I could hear. I am 61 years old, so I did not expect to be able to hear to 22K :).

I found that I could "hear" to about 13K. "Hear" is not very descriptive here. Here "hear" means that if I tilted my head right and cupped my ears, then just maybe I could hear something.

But it gave me a headache to go much over 10K. It reminded me of an auto detector in Bloomington, Indiana that one had to sit next to while waiting for the light to change. It created a very high pitched sound that made me roll up the window, because it went right into my brain - I don't know how else to describe it.

I also tested my wife, who is only 39 ;), and she could hear a tad higher than me.

Maybe some musical instruments do produce tones or overtones in the over 12K spectrum, but I don't believe that I, personally, would miss them.

I took the Eico to run on my main speakers with EV tweeters, but the results were not much different.

I am sure that, for me, any of the Pi speakers would do fine, but I am curious if anyone else thinks they can hear "music" over 15K? Perhaps it is a "presence" or feeling of "liveness" that is experienced more than heard?

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Fostex Wood Horns
Next Topic: 2 pi tower placement
Goto Forum: