Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Can someone recommend a 15" for subwoofer?
Can someone recommend a 15" for subwoofer? [message #43649] Tue, 13 January 2004 16:49 Go to next message
drguayo is currently offline  drguayo
Viscount
I'm now familiar with the kilomax
I've looked online at the Dayton Titanic 3, Audio Adire(multiple models but $$$), Stryke

They will be going into Karlson cabs - so ported with horn loading - 3-4 cubic feet. I have a crown psa-2 amp to drive a pair ( 275 w/channel @ 8)
thanks
craig.

Re: Can someone recommend a 15" for subwoofer? [message #43651 is a reply to message #43649] Tue, 13 January 2004 23:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adrian Mack is currently offline  Adrian Mack
Illuminati (1st Degree)

Hi Craig

Have no knowledge of karlson cabs - can offer 15" woofer suggestions that work in bass reflex cabs as subs.

JBL 2235 is great. Only available second hand though as its discontinued. Adire Tumult is also good quality stuff although you need over 2KW to hit 120db due to its very low efficiency. Don't use the Tempest. I think TC Sounds also make some nice 15"ers. Again, no idea weather or not these are suited to karlson which I assume is a horn.

Adrian

Re: Can someone recommend a 15" for subwoofer? [message #43654 is a reply to message #43649] Wed, 14 January 2004 09:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chris R is currently offline  Chris R
Master
Aside from the cabinet and power amp, can you describe any other
characteristics you are concerned with? I'm at least familiar with
the Karlsons, and from the web site there are several drivers
recommended. By digging up the T/S specs for those, you can search
for current drivers that are close. You can also model the drivers
listed, find a standard tuned box they'd use, then search for a current
driver that has similar characteristics. Wayne uses several differet
Eminence models as well as the professional JBL's. Try those
compared to the listed drivers.
Chris

Re: Can someone recommend a 15" for subwoofer? [message #43655 is a reply to message #43649] Wed, 14 January 2004 12:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill Wassilak is currently offline  Bill Wassilak
Illuminati (1st Degree)
I was going to start experimenting with karlson cabinets also but, karlsons aren't really a sub-woofer cabinet per se, the original K15 is good to maybe 45-48hz -3db down point. From what others have built you want a speaker with a Qts around .3-.35 and a low Fs and preferibly a light cone. But people have been using Altecs 416+421 and also EVM15B+15L's with good results, some are even using coax in them to try to get full range out of them. Go to the link below FreddyI is the man that knows about these things.

HTH
Bill W.

Re: Can someone recommend a 15" for subwoofer? [message #43661 is a reply to message #43651] Wed, 14 January 2004 17:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dr.joe is currently offline  dr.joe
Chancellor
On the advice of Adrian Mack (thanks, Adrian!) and John Ridley (an audio engineer that posts frequently to the Tannoy group on Yahoo), who both recommended the JBL 2235 as the first choice for deep and accurate bass, I went ahead and purchased a pair to mate with a pair of JBL 2445H compression drivers and 2380A horns, all connected with a Pi 800 Hz crossover (on Wayne's recommendation).

However, it's too soon for me to praise or damn, grin or grumble, because I still have to build cabinets and mount and connect the horn and drivers.

Here's the comments the aforementioned John Ridley sent me:

Assumimg [you're using a] conventional direct radiator in a box, and not horn loading, the general consensus of learned and informed opinion among the pro guys in the industry, recording/tv/radio and at home is that regardless of brand considered, it simply doesn't get any better than a pair of JBL 2235. These are ceramic 15" LF drivers with a 20hz fs and ran in ALL the JBL studio monitors for 20+ years without them being able to dream up a single way to improve them further. That is saying a mouthful.

If you're interested in purchasing a pair, there are a few options:

1. There's a pair on e-Bay right now that needs new surrounds.
2. Jammin' Jersey Music and Pro Audio in Northridge, California (www.jamminjersey.com), where I purchased mine (not cheap: US$500 + shipping), still has a pair advertised on their website--or at least a few days ago, when I last looked. In any case, it's worth phoning them, as their stock is also changing.
3. There is a place in the eastern U.S. (New Jersey?) that quoted me prices for brand new sealed in the box 2235s. I don't know if this means NOS, but the gentleman specified that the drivers came with warranty. The following is from the note I received about this from Mr. Ron Gold (sales@goldsound.net):

The following JBL units are new, in sealed box with full 5 year
warranty: 2235H, $369 each; 2405H, $298 each; 2382A. $298 each.

Hope this helps!

Regards,

Joel

(Tannoy DMT 15 II, Altec 604-8K, JBL L300)

Re: Can someone recommend a 15" for subwoofer? [message #43663 is a reply to message #43661] Wed, 14 January 2004 21:27 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
I'm jumping in with you and Adrian on the vote for JBL 2235's.

There are other good options too; It's kinda like like choices for good cars and good engines. If it's cool and fast, then it's cool and fast. But I gotta say I love the pure clean power of the 22xx JBL's, and the ones that are tuned low make really great subs.

I'd definitely consider the JBL 2235 for 15" subwoofer or the JBL 2245 for 18" subwoofer.

They're really sweet!

Previous Topic: Montreal Pi
Next Topic: UHF driver selection suggestions and thoughts?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Jun 06 00:54:55 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio