Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Final Pix Premium Stage 4 Pi in Theatre 4 Pi
Final Pix Premium Stage 4 Pi in Theatre 4 Pi [message #43587] Wed, 07 January 2004 20:44 Go to next message
drguayo is currently offline  drguayo
Viscount

I finally finished both speakers. It worked out great even though the Kilomax drivers aren't oriented up and down but what I've done is tilt one left the other right so they look like they were meant to be channel specific. I put the Pi symbol on a different side of each speaker to enhance the illusion. I've just spent the last hour listening to my Song Remains the Same Led Zep DVD in 2 channel(btw highly recommended DVD-they really captured the whole 70's concert scene - gotta love John Bonham speeding out on drums -and Jimmy with his Dazed and Confused solo with the violin bow). They sound wonderful, I'm happy to be back to horn based speakers. And the good news is the day I finish these - my Taylo Ref II's sold, gotta love that timing! Bill E. - do you recognize these speakers?

Now onto the centre channel.

Re: Final Pix Premium Stage 4 Pi in Theatre 4 Pi [message #43588 is a reply to message #43587] Wed, 07 January 2004 23:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Those look great! I like the mirror image look; We do that too, having the port and logo on opposite sides for aesthetics. I'll bet they sound great!

Just a thought [message #43590 is a reply to message #43587] Thu, 08 January 2004 06:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JLapaire is currently offline  JLapaire
Master
Yup, they look great, and I've been around Pi long enough to have an idea of how they'll sound ;)

So if that insulation visible through the ports bothers you, just push it back out of the way and staple it down. I don't think you'll hear any difference, and you can paint the cab inside flat black (or brilliant red with flames and flashing lights).

John

Re: Just a thought [message #43591 is a reply to message #43590] Thu, 08 January 2004 07:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Have you ever sent enough power to light the protection bulb? Or do you run without 'em?

'Cause when they glow, they're bright! The port lights up like a spotlight is inside.

Re: Just a thought [message #43600 is a reply to message #43591] Thu, 08 January 2004 13:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chris R is currently offline  Chris R
Master
>Have you ever sent enough power to light the protection bulb? Or do
>you run without 'em?

>'Cause when they glow, they're bright! The port lights up like a
>spotlight is inside.

Just how much power is that? :^) Between the description/specs
for the X-overs, and the efficiency of the systems, that's got to
get pretty loud. Can the PSD2002's take that much?

Chris

Re: Just a thought [message #43602 is a reply to message #43600] Thu, 08 January 2004 14:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

You're right, it's loud. The bulbs glow at about 300 watts, so the speaker is hitting about 120dB at a meter. But the tweeters aren't strained; They're only getting 30 watts at that point.

As an aside, the actual bulb used is a 211-2, and there are two of 'em in parallel. The 211-2 bulb is designed for 1A at 12V (12 ohms) but cold resistance is only about 2 or 3 ohms, so the pair is about an ohm and a half. When used on the input of the crossover, there is no noticeable impact until high current makes the filament glow, increasing resistance and limiting current. It acts like a compressor and protects the tweeter, but the compression effect is very natural sounding, you can hardly even tell. And it doesn't happen until the amplifier is generating about 300 watts.

Light 'em up [message #43604 is a reply to message #43591] Fri, 09 January 2004 10:35 Go to previous message
JLapaire is currently offline  JLapaire
Master
Every other day or so when I get home to an empty house I crank 'em up for a while, but even 10-20 watts is very arfing loud in the living room.

When we're playing for a dance, of course, they light up. A tune with a screamin' tenor sax will keep them lit. If you cast a glance around the crowd right then you'll see at least one, sometimes several air-sax players having at it.
Those lamps are cheap insurance, wouldn't want to run without them for sure.

John

Previous Topic: request pi seven cornerhorn plans
Next Topic: I brought this over from the tube section
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Aug 12 03:24:07 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers