Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » What to do with these
What to do with these [message #43546] Fri, 02 January 2004 21:18 Go to next message
Adrian Mack is currently offline  Adrian Mack
Illuminati (1st Degree)

I have these two tractrix horns from ages ago now sitting around. Perhaps I should make some sort of rear speaker out of them? Whats the requirement for THX?

Dolby Pro Logic is meant to roll off around 5-7KHz on the high end, getting a tweeter should be easy then.

Horn response of the tractrix loaded with alpha 6, way outdoors 1m on axis:

I guess I could use it to 1.4KHz. Should I use a horn tweeter with it? I dont want another horn/comp driver combo, too much effort (and money). I guess I just want to use these tractrix for something, as they are sitting around doing nothing and I put a lot of work in them (unlike the easy conicals I did haha). would need to buy another pair of alpha 6's.

I would have posted this on the home theatre roundtable forum, but it appears very little people go there :(

Adrian

Re: What to do with these [message #43550 is a reply to message #43546] Sat, 03 January 2004 02:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I think those are very nice horns, and you could certainly make an excellent second set of speakers with them. I'd use a 1" compression horn above them, and crossover somewhere in the 1.2kHz to 1.6kHz range. This makes your horns very compatible with existing technologies.

You could also post these on the Swap Meet forum and see if you get any takers. I'll bet they can be shipped surface to America for about a hundred bucks.

The Audio Round Table website isn't indexed into search engines yet, so I'm surprised it has as much activity as it does. It will be sometime later this month or even next month before the fastest search engines have it; Slower sites like Yahoo will take six months or more. So you'll see a slow rise in traffic over the course of the year, and for now it's like our own little club.

Re: What to do with these [message #43551 is a reply to message #43550] Sat, 03 January 2004 03:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (1st Degree)

Hey Wayne

Guess what, I found some more of those AU$50 jbl 2370 horns again, or US~$37 each, hahah. All the good deals seem to just roll into me :P 2225's, my comp drivers, 2370's, all snatched up at bargain prices. And my 18LW1400 sub driver I purchased at wholesale price so I paid almost half that of retail which otherwise is like AU$900 each :P

Now if I can get another cheap price pair of 1" comp drivers... I can get some nice good ones for AU$120 each, or some really horrible ones for $80 each. I couldn't spend more on comp drivers than I did on my proper speakers, could I? well its only cuz i snatched my ones at a huge clearout sale so maybe its ok to spend more :P

I'd probably do 12" Eminence below the horn or something.

Adrian

Re: What to do with these [message #43552 is a reply to message #43551] Sat, 03 January 2004 04:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (1st Degree)

dont think I'm gonna be doing any of this for a while though, I've already got enough on my hands :P

jbl 2370 horn flares + options [message #43554 is a reply to message #43551] Sat, 03 January 2004 10:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mike.e is currently offline  Mike.e
Illuminati (1st Degree)

Guess what, I found some more of those AU$50 jbl 2370 horns again, or US~$37 each, hahah. All the good deals seem to just roll into me :P 2225's, my comp drivers, 2370's, all snatched up at bargain prices. And my 18LW1400 sub driver I purchased at wholesale price so I paid almost half that of retail which otherwise is like AU$900 each :P

You make me sick

with envy

:-P

are the flares on AUCTION or for sale ,should i buy them now for future use? id save money getting them now instead of buying an Eminence flare???

i dont mind delaying the basshorn a little longer to get some valuable JBL flares!

Could i Active filter the system?

JBl 2370+ P audio comp driver
Midrange Conical
midbass of some sort (12" eminence? )
sub

i dont mind building 8 amplifiers.i love the idea of active filtering.

but what about all that Passive Customised filters,compensation and attenuation circuits...with active filtering...

Cheers

Re: jbl 2370 horn flares + options [message #43556 is a reply to message #43554] Sat, 03 January 2004 18:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (1st Degree)

No auction, its another pro sound shop again. I'll ask how many is available as the website doesn't say. $50 each + postage

I'm not actually sure how much the H290 flares are in Australia, but they will be more than $50. They retail something like $40 each in the US, so add on exchange rate + overseas import costs etc etc, its more than $50 each AUS. The 2370s are big though, about ~17.75" wide and almost 7" high, the Eminence H290 is only 11.4" wide by 6.4" high. Just means your box won't be so compact, doesn't matter though. My midrange horn is about this wide so the box has to be like that anyway.

You could active filter the system. Mines active filtered between the woofer/midrange horn, and then the Pi passive crossover between midrange horn/HF horn. I'd reccomend you do it this way, so the tweeter compensation circuit is already worked out for you.

Eminence 12" would definitly be an inexpensive way to go. Last time I checked, the Delta 15 was $225 AU each, so the Delta 12 would be even less, not bad. I remember you talking about the 18 Sound drivers, would definitly be a great way to go, but they also cost more than the Eminence.

Re: jbl 2370 horn flares + options [message #43877 is a reply to message #43556] Sun, 08 February 2004 06:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
HaknHendrix is currently offline  HaknHendrix
Chancellor
Adrian;

not certain if I followed the thread correctly - but, do you have access is competively priced jbl 2370 Horn flares?

Thanks
Hakn

Re: jbl 2370 horn flares + options [message #43884 is a reply to message #43877] Mon, 09 February 2004 08:48 Go to previous message
Illuminati (1st Degree)

G'day Hakn

I did have access, but none left now!

It was in Australia anyway's (where I live) so it may not have been so cheap for you after shipping if your in the US or something, but theres none left anyway.

Adrian

Previous Topic: PI 2 Plans,
Next Topic: 4 pi theater plans, pleeze...
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Jul 14 18:56:46 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Miller Audio