Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Studio 2
Studio 2 [message #43540] Fri, 02 January 2004 08:45 Go to next message
JLapaire is currently offline  JLapaire
Master

These are one of the versions of Studio 2 that I tried. The first was within a snootch of being bone-stock, and is now in a dorm room somewhere in Iowa. Encouraged by the great sound/$ ratio I took these a step farther with a slightly bigger box and the tweeter-on-a-stick. Tuning is the same, as it really models best for the Alpha 10, and although the original port didn't huff, I made these bigger and rounded both ends of them. I left the coils in, but they sound good without them too.
I turned dowels to fit the hole in the driver, drilled through the center of the dowels for lead wires, cut the flanges off the stock tweeters and glued them to the dowels. Being an easy press-fit, the dowels can be adjusted forward and back, and are sealed with rope caulk. I was a little nervous about cutting out the Alpha dust covers, but they've been cranking in my dusty house for the best part of a year now with no problems. With the hole in the magnet assembly plugged up the voice coils are now cooled by air from the front rather than from the inside of the cabinet.

I was looking for single-driver style focus with this arrangement, and didn't quite get it. There's some improvement, and I think they look cool, but the sound is very similar to the original, with slightly deeper bass from the larger cab. Very tuneful speakers with quite a bit of the signature live sound of the Pi line. One of the best bang-for-the-buck synergies in DIY-dom, cheap enough to cheerfully chop and hack at without fear of economic disater. Stick to Wayne's tuning and they'll work in almost any size box.

BTW the difference in finish is an extra (accidental) sprayed Polyshades coat on the left unit, but the difference is nothing like the way it came out with the camera flash. I might fix it when warm weather returns.

John

Re: Studio 2 [message #43543 is a reply to message #43540] Fri, 02 January 2004 15:48 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Interesting look! Beautiful finish!

Previous Topic: Trying out a photo link
Next Topic: 6 Pi plans
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Jul 25 15:16:54 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio