Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Trying out a photo link
Trying out a photo link [message #43526] Wed, 31 December 2003 09:54 Go to next message
JLapaire is currently offline  JLapaire
Master

I've had so much trouble posting pictures that I decided to try one of the free website hosts. This is a shot from last year's setup. Quasi-Theater 4 and Buschhorn MK2/1197 left channel. No shot of the electronics because you'd laugh.

Hope it works.

John

Re: Trying out a photo link [message #43528 is a reply to message #43526] Wed, 31 December 2003 14:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
shawn is currently offline  shawn
Esquire
Nice! If you still have the Theater 4's around, I'ed like to check t hem out... maybe they morphed in to the Carlson's? In any case, the Bhorns are looking and sounding great in my living room as I type. See you in January and we can trade Buschhorns (maybe Ill show up with a pair of FE103 enclosures).

shawn

Re: Trying out a photo link [message #43530 is a reply to message #43526] Wed, 31 December 2003 19:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adrian Mack is currently offline  Adrian Mack
Illuminati (1st Degree)

That looks really cool John. Well done!

What sort of finishing is that?

Re: Trying out a photo link [message #43531 is a reply to message #43526] Wed, 31 December 2003 20:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill Martinelli is currently offline  Bill Martinelli
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Hi John!

Happy new year. Your speaks look great. When the next NEBOT ?
I'm ready to make the trip again

Bill

Re: Trying out a photo link [message #43535 is a reply to message #43526] Thu, 01 January 2004 09:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wasteh202 is currently offline  wasteh202
Master
Hello there John

I was wondering if you could give a comparison of these two speakers ?

Therse bhorns and single driver type speakers are intriquing to me and I have heard good things about them. I don't see how they could possible compare to the q-4's... but perhaps you can tell me.

Thanks !

Re: Trying out a photo link [message #43536 is a reply to message #43531] Thu, 01 January 2004 17:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Garland is currently offline  Garland
Grand Master
Hi Bill,

The next meeting is supposed to be at Steve Culton's just south of Harford, Conn. this month(January). Hope to see you there. Check out the Bottlehead Forum for particulars; soon to be posted, I'd wager.

Garland

Re: Trying out a photo link [message #43538 is a reply to message #43526] Fri, 02 January 2004 00:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Hi John!

I agree with everyone else here, that your speakers are stunning.

Every time someone asks about building Theater four π's in a tower configuration, I point 'em to pictures of your speakers. They really look great!

Wayne

Re: Trying out a photo link [message #43539 is a reply to message #43528] Fri, 02 January 2004 07:21 Go to previous message
JLapaire is currently offline  JLapaire
Master
Hi Shawn,

Yes, they did, but the Delta 15A was actually more successful in the Theater 4 than in the Karlson enclosure. I retained the HF and crossover and just recently installed Delta Pros in the Ks. BTW, stuffing changes to your Bhorns were significant, I'll email you. Maybe carpool?

To answer wasteh202 and Adrian's questions, I've forgotten what stain I used, but the finish is 7 or 8 coats of Tung Oil finish rubbed in over the course of a week or so. It's the Formby's product which I think has some urethane in it. Comparing the two speakers is easy because they're so different, and I did it several times with different groups of people - The Bhorns make a wonderful soundstage when they're positioned right and have a very natural sound. Being single driver (and tiny), the coherency comes at the cost of extended range and power. The 4s sound like live music and are probably 8-10db more sensitive. They're very dynamic and don't seem to care what they're driven with - I've heard them with some beautiful 2 watt SE tube types and they had no trouble with my 200+ watt/ch Crown, but you need hearing protection at that level because it's around 120db. You also should secure small decorative objects and afterwards go around straightening out whatever pictures are still hanging on the walls.

I sold the cabs to a person who, like me, may be more interested in the journey than the destination and they might be available.

BTW, I built them such that I could pull the horns out, turn the cabs backwards into the corner and set the horns on top, sort of like the Theater 7 to gain bass response, which they did.

I think the NE Bot meet is the 24th at Steve's.

I'm glad the link works! Thanks for the interest.

John

Previous Topic: 2PI towers - plans and impressions
Next Topic: Studio 2
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Jun 07 17:59:41 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers