Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Some Pics of Bill E's refurbished cabs
Some Pics of Bill E's refurbished cabs [message #43515] Tue, 30 December 2003 17:55 Go to next message
drguayo is currently offline  drguayo
Viscount
Background:

The cabinets were originally built by Bill Epstein but had the misfortune of being caught in the rain. When I got them from Ron(spkrman57) the veneer was peeling off so they looked like a shedding birch tree. I stripped all the veneer off( as well as some of the mdf in places ) then filled in a few spots and was thinking of sanding them then painting them 100% black but alas my wife got involved and we came up with the idea of covering them in leather! I stapled 1 strip of leather(ette) from underneath up one side across the top down the other side and back underneath. I then faced the back and front with a their own pieces of leather. This left me with visible staples framing the back and front thus the idea of covering the staples with a quarter round of wood to finish them off. I have posted some pictures in a directory on my website(see link) just before I populate the components. I'm using the Theatre 4 Pi plans with Premium Stage components thus the extra large port size(7").

I'll post some more pictures once they're populated and my centre channel speaker is finished.

craig

ps. Thanks Bill for the excellent foundation to start my first speaker project.

Woah! - That looks great! [message #43517 is a reply to message #43515] Tue, 30 December 2003 18:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

That's a very interesting look. I really like it! Reminds me of the leather seats and trim in a fine luxury car.

Nice job Craig [message #43523 is a reply to message #43515] Wed, 31 December 2003 04:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JLapaire is currently offline  JLapaire
Master
Every time I spray or brush the final coat and come back to find a bug or something in it I wonder if there's another way....

Did you just stretch and staple or is it glued in some places?

They turned out great - congratulations.

John

Re: Some Pics of Bill E's refurbished cabs [message #43524 is a reply to message #43515] Wed, 31 December 2003 07:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
spkrman57
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Can't wait to see it with drivers installed. Great work.
Ron

Re: Nice job Craig [message #43529 is a reply to message #43523] Wed, 31 December 2003 15:38 Go to previous message
drguayo is currently offline  drguayo
Viscount
Hi:
Thanks everyone for the great feedback. My next project will be better! I promise.

I used the spray glue also.
I stapled 1 end first then spray glued generously and then put down the leather and then used a rolling pin - then stapled the far end.

Right after it was laid it looked great. 4 hours later there were air bubbles then when I woke up in the morning everything was flat and smooth. I was working in my friend's cold garage when I applied the glue which may have caused the air bubbles later due to the glue giving off gases with heat increase after I brought them into the house.

Some day I hope to have a proper work space for all this and won't be working in the cold Canadian winter(although this year it's very mild)

regards
craig.

Previous Topic: budget eminence clone
Next Topic: Happy New Years!
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Sep 18 13:22:16 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers