Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » progess pics
Re: what kind of tweeter horn? [message #43444 is a reply to message #43442] Tue, 23 December 2003 18:56 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Adrian Mack is currently offline  Adrian Mack
Illuminati (1st Degree)

Hey "stupid newbie" (haha, well thats the nickname ya used!).

I'm using a horn based tweeter, JBL 2370 horn flares with P.Audio PA-D45 comp drivers attached and Waynes crossover network will be used on them. The flares are Bi-Radial type, having a radial design in both vertical and horizontal planes, unlike a normal radial flare where the vertical is actually exponential, only the horizontal is radial.

Are you having a midrange horn too? Or just direct radiator midrange? Is it two way or 3 way system?

You could do a conical horn flare for the tweeter if you wanted. Remember though the conical has a negative slope, so use it in a Hybrid form to make the slope closer to zero. The conical flare has reduced phase distortion. See Waynes post "Characteristics of various horn flares" at http://www.AudioRoundTable.com/PiSpeakers/messages/1623.html for details on Hybrid forms, etc.

What sort of dispersion do your Corals have?

So do you actually plan on building some conical HF horns by yourself? I built some midrange conical horn flares that I modelled in Hornresp, but I don't think you could model a compression driver in there (mostly due to lack of information). If you really wanted to, you could build a flare that gives you the dispersion you want etc, and then build the Hybrid section and attach the comp driver with a mounting flange like the ones Bill Martinelli uses on his woodhorns. Then keep taking freq response measurements with speakerworkshop and changing the expo/hyperbolic "hybrid" section until you get the response curve you want. Its quite a lot of work though. I did a lot of this measurement stuff and experimenting with the midrange horns I built. For a HF horn, I would rather just buy a ready made one as theirs some very good ones out there. But if your up for it, give it a shot!

Adrian

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: JBl 2235
Next Topic: It Never Stops! How about PSD2002 in 2PI Towers?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Jul 13 12:41:19 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Miller Audio