Home » Audio » General » More Shock Jocks canned
More Shock Jocks canned [message #4331] Sat, 19 May 2007 14:14 Go to next message
randle is currently offline  randle
Master
I saw the other day that Amos and Opie got canned from XM. (These are also the guys that got fired from a station in NYC for getting a couple to have sex in a Catholic Church last year.) What do you think about XM dumping them for their antics?

Re: More Shock Jocks canned [message #4334 is a reply to message #4331] Sun, 20 May 2007 09:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I still can't believe the reaction to Don Imus. He wasn't my favorite, but I thought he got railroaded.

Re: More Shock Jocks canned [message #4336 is a reply to message #4334] Sun, 20 May 2007 17:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
DRCope is currently offline  DRCope
Master
Back in my college days, he WAS one of my favorites, but he wasn't abusing college girls at that point. People say oh, he's not that bad, and if you don't like him, don't listen to him, but he reinforced the thinking of some screwball listeners who made death threats against the Rutgers women for his employer's reaction to his stupid remarks, and in the week following those remarks, not one, but two NYPD officers used his used his idot phrase on minority women officers in subordinate positions and got moved and or demoted.

Tolerating that kind of crap on the airwaves reinforces some really corrosive attitudes in our society.

That said, it turned out that his contract specifically made reference to his employer expecting him to make controversial remarks as part of his act and pretty much approving it a priori. So he is suing them. I hope he wins, but I hope the court forces him to donate any financial gains to establishing scholarships at Rutgers for female minority students.

I hold both parties in nearly equal contempt.

Re: More Shock Jocks canned [message #4337 is a reply to message #4336] Mon, 21 May 2007 10:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I don't know, Dave. You might be right, but if so, then probably almost all rap music performers should be released from their recording contracts and not allowed to perform ever again. The lyrics in a lot of their music are much incitive than anything said by any of the talk radio guys.

Re: More Shock Jocks canned [message #4338 is a reply to message #4331] Mon, 21 May 2007 11:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill Wassilak is currently offline  Bill Wassilak
Illuminati (1st Degree)
That's not right since there on sattilite radio, if there cracking down there why isn't Howard Stern gone by now?
Like Glenn Beck said on his program on CNN headline news, political correctness is going to ruin this country. I loved it when he drilled the Rev. Al Sharpton about his comments he made about Rummly, Glen Beck told him shouldn't he be fired too since you helped get Don Imus fired. Oh Sharpton was squirming in his seat trying to answer that one.

Re: You're both right [message #4341 is a reply to message #4337] Mon, 21 May 2007 19:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill Epstein is currently offline  Bill Epstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
I chuckled at the remark until I recalled what Jack Nicholson's character said to the obviously Jewish couple at "his" table in "As Good As It Gets". It hit me in the gut and helps me understand how those young women at Rutgers must have felt.

It's difficult for men to empathise with women these days, :-), but I also cannot understand how there is no female backlash against Rap lyrics. Women in general, and female entertainers in particular are so vocal on behalf of so many causes, both substantive and inconsequential that it is amazing that there is no reaction.

Perhaps there is a fear of legitimising a marginal genre although Rap is far from that. Just listen to all the WMCM (White Middle Class Male) driven Scions go by. More likely, white America is fearful of criticising black, and blacks themselves view calling each other niggers, bitches and ho's (sic) a symbol of belonging to a peer group.

You'll never hear Jews refer to themselves as kikes, Establishment whites to each other as whiskey-palians or Latinos refer to other Latinos as greasers but we all have our own, perhaps gentler code words for belonging, too. Self-respect begins with respecting others. Free speech should not extend beyond poking fun at to demeaning other groups, especially on the public airwaves.

All Americans these days belong to a minority, a situation that is causing discomfort for those formerly in the majority who used to enjoy jokes at the expense of minorities and especially minorities making fun of themselves("ah say, ah say, Kingfish").

Not having a majority is called Pluralism. It changes the way we live, think and vote. It should, and eventually will change the way we view others.

Re: More Shock Jocks canned [message #4347 is a reply to message #4338] Fri, 25 May 2007 15:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
randle is currently offline  randle
Master
Why should he be fired? He shouldn't be fired for being right. Because when it all boils down to it, he was. He didn't say anything wrong or out of place he was speaking up for the majority.

Re: More Shock Jocks canned [message #4354 is a reply to message #4334] Wed, 30 May 2007 20:22 Go to previous message
Trell7369 is currently offline  Trell7369
Esquire
Imus is a jerk off. I always didn't like him, because the way he treated Howard Stern when he was working for WNBC. Karma is a bitch. Stern is still on the air and Imus isn't. I find it funny.

Previous Topic: Lone Star Bottleheads Pictures Online
Next Topic: HELP... can't reset password
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Jul 14 13:14:59 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout