Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Hmmmm
Re: JBL 2105 [message #43320 is a reply to message #43319] Wed, 10 December 2003 07:02 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Keep looking. Those 2105's are sweet.

About phase plugs and throat shape - My design approach has been to keep the midrange horn simple and crossover where required without a difficult flare transition and phase plug in the midrange subsystem. The idea is that the added complexity isn't required considering you plan to crossover at some point to a tweeter.

Phase plugs certainly help reduce path length related cancellations at higher frequencies. That's what they're used for. But I'm not sure you'll need one in a midrange horn like this. You definitely could design around one and make an excellent horn. But fabrication might be more difficult, and the extension you'll gain might have been easier to accomplish by different means.

Modern midrange horns designed for use above 100Hz or 200Hz are generally expected to cover the vocal range, and run out of steam in the overtone region, between 1kHz and 2kHz. Many of them use flares very similar to yours, some with phase plugs and some without. So I think you're on the right track here, and you just have to decide what compromises and optimizations are in order for your particular goals.

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Help needed for old JBL D131 and new mr/tw horn
Next Topic: Why can't you use a single line array module on its own???
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Sep 13 12:16:25 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Miller Audio