Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Pi Crossover
Pi Crossover [message #43237] Mon, 01 December 2003 14:48 Go to next message
Adrian Mack is currently offline  Adrian Mack
Illuminati (1st Degree)

Hey Wayne,

If I plan on using the conical horns, I can probably cross at 1.6KHz and not 1 or 1.2KHz. So if I do this, I'm considering the PXB2-1K6 crossover. I've been reading some of the older posts on this forum, and I think I've got it down.

Only thing I wanted to know, is R1, R2, and C1 tweeter compensation components, should they all be connected in parallel with each other (and in any order) and then those three components connected in series with the tweeter horn?

Should the woofer Zobel be connected in parallel or in series with the woofer? They are normally in parallel so I was assuming this to be the case.

Thanks!
Adrian

You've got mail! [message #43238 is a reply to message #43237] Mon, 01 December 2003 15:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

The components R1, R2 and C1 are connected in series/parallel in the tweeter circuit. The Zobel is connected across the woofer.

Check your mail; I'll send you the schematic and you can see how these components are connected.

Re: You've got mail! [message #43239 is a reply to message #43238] Mon, 01 December 2003 16:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Hey Wayne,

I've made a diagram of it now, its probably one of the worst lookin and messiest diagrams you've seen but messy diagrams don't make it sound bad, right? :P

I was just wondering, the picture in a post of yours shown below:

Its only got two leads coming off it, it looks different from my diagram above. Is my diagram actually ok?

Thanks!
Adrian

forgot to ask...... [message #43240 is a reply to message #43239] Mon, 01 December 2003 16:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (1st Degree)

On the diagram I made, does the polarity matter of the tweeter and woofer and the connection from the components hanging off the PXB2-1K6 board?
Things and stuff [message #43242 is a reply to message #43240] Mon, 01 December 2003 21:59 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Your diagram is exactly right. On the tweeter cable assembly, there are two leads that connect to the crossover PCB and two leads that connect to the tweeter. As far as polarity is concerned, it doesn't matter as long as something external to the circuit doesn't short it out.

Let me tell you why I said that. If you connect all the components on the "+" side of the circuit and then put them all in a metal chassis with the "-" side of the circuit being common and connected to the chassis, everything is fine. But if you were to switch the tweeter cable assembly so that the series components were on the "-" circuit path, then the chassis connection would short these components.

Not many crossovers are mounted this way, so it is rarely a concern. But when mounting the HF horns externally, having the crossover in an external box is a good and attractive solution. If the connectors are all mounted on a common metal panel, then this becomes a possibility.

Previous Topic: Unfolded conical basshorn
Next Topic: PI DJ SPEAKERS
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Jul 17 06:35:39 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout