Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » 3Pi and wooden Smith horns ?
3Pi and wooden Smith horns ? [message #43221] Sat, 29 November 2003 00:26 Go to next message
kupfer_m is currently offline  kupfer_m
Chancellor
Hi All,

Is it possible to use the Smith horn (as featured in Audio Anthology Vol. 2) with the 3Pi speakers ?
I'd like to build these horns because they are relatively easy to build.

Thanks in advance,
Jim

Re: 3Pi and wooden Smith horns ? [message #43222 is a reply to message #43221] Sat, 29 November 2003 12:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Sure, just use those horns in place of the ones in the plans. I don't know anything about them though, so compensation and crossover changes may be required.

Re: 3Pi and wooden Smith horns ? [message #43223 is a reply to message #43222] Sun, 30 November 2003 05:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chancellor
Hi Wayne,

I'd like to use the 3Pi with my SE300B amplifier but I read several messages on the forum the Thermionic-series are more suitable for this task, however you send me the plans of the Theater-series. Can I just use the same material thickness but alter the dimensions of the box to the Thermionic dimensions ?

When using the Smith-horn on top of the cabinet, should I replace the woofer upwards or just leave it as is ?

Thanks,
Jim

Re: 3Pi and wooden Smith horns ? [message #43224 is a reply to message #43221] Sun, 30 November 2003 08:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
freddyi is currently offline  freddyi
Baron
Hi Jim - have only run 1" Smith horn in mono - very diffuse sound that's difficult to localize as finite source and was "pretty" on vocals - think you may like them (JBL 2397 imo sounded cool) and Pi bottom would be excellent. You may have to contour the network a bit, FWIW might put a type-1 Eminence on Smith horn and run some pink noise on RTA - Smith are easier than IWATA !

Best,
Freddy

(- wonder how BMS 1" format would sound on this type horn?)

Re: 3Pi and wooden Smith horns ? [message #43228 is a reply to message #43223] Sun, 30 November 2003 14:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

The Delta 12LF used in the Theater Series three π really needs "motor braking" - electrical damping - so some SET amps aren't up for the task. But you might try it with your amp, because some work just fine. Amplifiers based on the 300B tube are pretty strong.

Don't modify the dimensions of the box or the port - If you want another loudspeaker, I'll send plans for another speaker. The Thermionic Series three π and the Theater Series four π both work well on amps with low damping factors, such as low-power SET amps.

As for mounting the HF horn on top, I suggest that you move the midwoofer up so that the distance between it and the tweeter are the same as called for in the original design. It's also important to maintain the same front-to-back spacing as well.

Re: 3Pi and wooden Smith horns ? [message #43231 is a reply to message #43221] Mon, 01 December 2003 00:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chancellor
Hi Wayne,

Please send me the plans of the Thermionic 3Pi as these suit my needs better because I'm also building a SE2A3 amp.

Thanks,
Jim

You've got mail! [message #43232 is a reply to message #43231] Mon, 01 December 2003 00:47 Go to previous message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Previous Topic: Hey, Wayne and Bill M!
Next Topic: Unfolded conical basshorn
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Jul 17 00:25:48 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers