Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » 2 Pi tower questions
2 Pi tower questions [message #43173] Sun, 23 November 2003 12:53 Go to next message
nutube is currently offline  nutube
Esquire
What is this speaker ohm ? 4 ;8; or 16 ohm
I am burning it in and overall it is sounding very good and very efficient
Cabinet is not glued up yet, it sits 9 feet from room corners and 7 feet apart with almost no toe in. listening position is about 8 feet. I am using twin sub crossed overed at around 75 hz
Since the tower was supposed to be able to go down to 30hz - I was surprised to see that I needed at least a sub at 70hz to get the fullness of the spectrum I like in the room
Any comments appreciated
Thanks
Re: 2 Pi tower answers [message #43176 is a reply to message #43173] Sun, 23 November 2003 15:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Two π towers are 8 ohm speakers and I've never heard of anyone using them with subs. They're flat down to 35Hz. Where did you get the parts? Did you install the inductor?
Re: 2 Pi tower answers [message #43177 is a reply to message #43176] Sun, 23 November 2003 17:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Esquire
Home made sub
I did install the inductor
No comparison with sub...BTW I use as low a value(Hz) and balanced volume as I can to get the extention of the bass notes

The speaker is continuouly sounding better.
I plan on using the idea of a 22 ohm resistor to tame it down a tad. I dont find the piezo too loud -just a tad hotter than I like . My cotton wool placed around the throat seem to work well. At least to my liking
Thanks for the info

That IS strange... [message #43179 is a reply to message #43173] Sun, 23 November 2003 21:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mollecon is currently offline  mollecon
Master
I've seen many comments on the 2Pi's here - cannot remember ONE mentioning 'lack of bass'! Based on the behaviour in the frequency domain alone, one would rather suspect that some people would actually find them too 'hot' in the mid/upper bass, so..(???)

Btw., you mentioned them being away from room corners - you are aware that they're supposed to be close to at least two room boundries? Since they are floor standers, close to back wall or side wall, that is.

Re: That IS strange... [message #43183 is a reply to message #43179] Mon, 24 November 2003 16:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Esquire
I switched to 8 ohms tap sounded more relax and fuller.
Added 22ohm at tweeter....liked that and took cotton out of the tweeter throat.
The speakers are 3 feet from side wall and at least ten from rear. These are to be shipped to my son so it is not in ideal situation. Too much to move before thanksgiving : )
I adjusted my left volume to be about 4-6 db for compensation and these speakers being sensitive was noticeable . Will have to adjust.
It is contiuosly opening up and getting smoother since last Thursday.
I also pot 4 isolation bearings on each cabinet...to me the focus is better. I plan on building a platform...spicke them and then set bearings on them . Speakers do move back and forth slightly
Center focus is still something I like to move the speakers around to fine tune...It seems that positioning the pointing 40 degrees towards the center infront of sweet spot is what I like.
The subwoofer is now xing at around 35to 40 hz. Most speakers sound better with sub in my room. Dont get me wrong I like the low registers kinda tight and like chewing on gummy bears instead of soft like chewing on hard jello( pardon the poor analogy hope you get my drift
These are great speakers for the price point and better that quiet a few i have heard in the 400 600 range
Happy thanksgiving to all
Sounds reasonable... [message #43185 is a reply to message #43183] Mon, 24 November 2003 17:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mollecon is currently offline  mollecon
Master
Your experience makes sense, given the 2Pi's behaviour in the bass. They show a little 'peaking' (max. ~1dB) from 60-160Hz & a fairly slow roll-off down to ~33Hz (-3dB just over 40Hz). The little peak in the mid/upper bass area can in some cases 'mask' the deep bass, especially if 1)your room is sub-happy, 2)you are used to a sub, & 3)the Pi's arent placed optimally.

It's nice you seem to be tweaking your way to make these speakers do their best! Good luck.

Cabinet is not glued up yet? [message #43188 is a reply to message #43173] Tue, 25 November 2003 08:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JLapaire is currently offline  JLapaire
Master
If they're loose at all and leaking air or moving they won't do as good a job as when you get them braced and glued.

John

I think you are right on the money have to ship knock down (nt) [message #43192 is a reply to message #43188] Tue, 25 November 2003 18:47 Go to previous message
Esquire
Previous Topic: Spec of Pi Speakers
Next Topic: freq response
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Jul 17 18:32:22 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers