Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » How to connct an L-pad ?
How to connct an L-pad ? [message #43048] Sun, 16 November 2003 07:50 Go to next message
ports is currently offline  ports
Chancellor
I would like to install L-pads on the tweeters that I'm using in a set of cabinets that I'm refitting with new drivers but I have no idea how to connect them. The L-pad has 3 "prongs" numbered 1-2-3....how do you connect the "+" & "-" wires from the speaker terminals to the L-pad & then to the tweeter ? These are 100 watt mono L-pads. Any info at all will help as I am NEW to this sort'a thing.....thanx in advance....ports.
Re: How to connct an L-pad ? [message #43049 is a reply to message #43048] Sun, 16 November 2003 09:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill Martinelli is currently offline  Bill Martinelli
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Most L-Pads connect like this

1) Ground
2) Output
3) Input

Re: How to connect an L-pad ? [message #43050 is a reply to message #43048] Sun, 16 November 2003 09:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jeff Robinson is currently offline  Jeff Robinson
Chancellor
It should have come with a wiring diagram. The ones I've used have been marked to use terminal 1 for ground, 2 as load and 3 as input. In other words going from lowest number as lowest potential to ground to highest number as highest potential to ground. Do remember if using 2nd order network to reverse the polarity of the tweeter.

HTH

Jeff Robinson

Re: How to connct an L-pad ? [message #43052 is a reply to message #43048] Sun, 16 November 2003 10:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jeff Robinson is currently offline  Jeff Robinson
Chancellor
In re-reading your post I notice you make no mention of an existing crossover network. If using an amp larger than 2 watts you must use a crossover network or you will almost certainly blow your tweeter.

The cabinet + (hot) and - (ground) terminals feed power into the crossover. The crossover output then feeds "high pass filtered" signal power to the L-Pad which then feeds the tweeter.

The simplest crossover is a first order (6 dB/oct) which is just a single capacitor in series with the tweeter/L-Pad (a 4.7 μF capacitor will cross an 8 Ω tweeter about 4,200 Hz). There are higher order crossover topologies but you'll need to do some studying before attempting to design a crossover from scratch.

Jeff Robinson

Re: How to connect an L-pad ? [message #43053 is a reply to message #43050] Sun, 16 November 2003 11:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chancellor
I'm using the L-pad with a Motorola KSN1165 piezo tweeter with no x-over on the tweeter, just rolling off the woofer with a .8mh coil.

ports.

Re: How to connect an L-pad ? [message #43054 is a reply to message #43053] Sun, 16 November 2003 15:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
If your L-Pad is made for an 8 ohm load, then put an 8 ohm resistor across your tweeter. If the L-Pad is for 16 ohms, then put a 16 ohm resistor across the tweeter. Piezoelectric tweeters are primarily capacitive, and have fairly high impedance, so you'll need to add a shunt resistor across the tweeter to form a voltage divider for the L-Pad to work. Give that a try and see what happens.
Re: How to connect an L-pad ? [message #43057 is a reply to message #43054] Mon, 17 November 2003 04:42 Go to previous message
Chancellor
Thanks Wayne....I'm toying with the idea of using these L-pads right now but they might not be necessary....the KSN1165's are apparently 96db efficient & the Delta 12LF are 97db efficient....they should be okay on their own ? If I was to use 2 II65's for each speaker would you advise wiring them in series or parallel...if parallel should I use the L-pads to turn them down ?

Thanks in advance....ports

Previous Topic: Another side of the small and cute vs. big and efficient debate:
Next Topic: 2 pi Tower - tweeter upgrade Wayne & others?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Jun 25 19:06:44 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Miller Audio