Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Epstein, Epstein....paging Mr. Epstein
Epstein, Epstein....paging Mr. Epstein [message #42920] Thu, 06 November 2003 05:45 Go to next message
jlharden is currently offline  jlharden
Viscount
Hi Bill!

I've been eyeing the Ella for about a year now, and am interested in your long term impressions. A 50 watt p-p has always been more my thing than a 2.5 watt set. I have an assembled Foreplay that I was going to match with Paramours, but never got that far. Functions correctly, but a little hum I can't kick with some amps. Know anyone that needs a discounted F-play? Anyway, a meaty p-p really expands what you can use for speakers. What have you found that really works with the Ella? I'm considering 7 Pi Pro's. I have four of the 2226J's I've thought and thought about using. The more I think the more I want a single pair of 2226H so I can build a little 8 ohm corner horn. I'm thinking smaller due to all the frequency response issues with a dual woofer design and the shear SIZE. I actually felt bad when I showed the 4648-8 cabs to my girlfriend/future horn lover. :^} I can compromise a little! Well, maybe.... Thanks for any update on Ella and speaker matching experience. Take care! Jerrod

Happier with 2226J's [message #42923 is a reply to message #42920] Thu, 06 November 2003 09:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
spkrman57
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Jerrod,
If are running with tube amps, why worry about the 2226H, when the 2226J can be matched up to the amp transformer taps. I use mine on 8 ohms taps on my Norh SE-9, and on Push-Pull amps, must be more exact(read that hooked up to the 16 ohms taps). I use 902C horn driver (8 ohm) and standard Pi crossover 1.6Khz(R1=30ohm/R2=15ohm/.47 ufd cap). I have used this for 806A/802D mainly. I am using 650hz tractix horn(Edgar round wooden). With my new 902's, I am going to wire up another crossover with R1=40 ohm/R2=12.5 ohm(25 ohm X 2 parallel) and use .33 ufd cap. The 902 is more efficient than the 806's and need that slight edge taken off. If you want more details, let me know!!!
Ron

Re: Epstein, Epstein....paging Mr. Epstein [message #42933 is a reply to message #42920] Thu, 06 November 2003 16:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BillEpstein is currently offline  BillEpstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Best I ever heard, blah, blah.
Seriously, the way my system is set up I switch between an Outlaw 1050 HT receiver and the Ella, same speakers. Huge difference. Maybe more than switching speakers. A daily lesson in A/B'ing.
Ella has a slight emphasis in the upper mids which was tamed somewhat by going from Valve Art EL-34 to EH "large bottle". Imaging is great with either one and bass is plentiful. If you read the Asylum review I wrote vis a vis the other fellow I find the bass more than adequate and he doesn't. But then My idea of bass is acoustic or amp'd acoustic and his, no doubt is electronic. However, when I do rock on the eelectric bass and kick drum on such as Bela Fleck Live is chest thumping.
Paramours are obviously rounded off. More real presence with SET? Maybe. But Ella is at once delicate, powerful, reaches a higher treble with very low distortion and tosses out s nice soundstage and instruments like piano, percussion, woodwinds, brass etc have a very "real" tonality.
And quite a bargain.
Easy to build except for the usual oversights in the manual which makes you slow down while briefly waiting for Brian to answer questions. Fun.
Creating is more like performing than listening
Re: Epstein, Epstein....paging Mr. Epstein [message #42935 is a reply to message #42933] Thu, 06 November 2003 20:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Viscount
Hi Bill,

Thanks for taking the time to give me your sonic impressions. Are you using the 2226J/806/ Altec sectoral 511/811? with the Ella? Jerrod

Re: Happier with 2226J's [message #42936 is a reply to message #42923] Thu, 06 November 2003 20:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Viscount
Hi Ron!

I had thought about using the 2226J's in a Seven Pi Corner horn. My main concern was the Ella's opt's being optimized for 4/8 ohms. I read today that the Ella is available with 8/16 ohm taps. This may make a really good combo. I think I may take your advice. How are you liking those round tractix? How do they compare to a 2370 or 511/811? Thanks, Jerrod

Re: Candy is dandy but Woodhorns are quicker [message #42941 is a reply to message #42935] Fri, 07 November 2003 02:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BillEpstein is currently offline  BillEpstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
I thought the 806A/811B was unbeatable until I was able to hear the 806A's on Bill Martinelli's wood horns. And that was after I had cut the welds and caulked the gaps, etc., a no big deal tweak. The 811's are very "live" sounding, and I like that, prolly cause they ring like a Glockenspiel. The Woodhorns are in a different league in tonality, refinement, image, yada-yadda..
They sound better.
And the system is just like my man Speakerman's: 2226J bottom with the 806A top.
Merry Pranks Website
Creating is more like performing than listening
Re: Candy is dandy but Woodhorns are quicker [message #42943 is a reply to message #42941] Fri, 07 November 2003 05:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Viscount
Wow, you stay up late! Talked me into a 16 ohm Seven Pi Pro. Now I've two 2226J's to sell and two empty 4648-8A cabs to try to sell/giveaway/turn into firewood....nah, won't do that! I really checked out Bill's horns at MAF. He was even kind enough to give me extended detail on how to build them. I might give it a shot whenever I get my shop set back up. Or I might just have to start a savings fun to buy some of Bill's horns because they're so damn pretty and come from a great guy.
BTW.... Heard you've crossed over to the dark side, and are enjoying a single driver setup. I did the same thing a few months ago. Built my first Voigt pipes and loaded them with a Radio Shack 40-1297's. I'm still shaking my head. Might holler back at you whenver I start on the crossovers.
Thanks again, Jerrod
Wooden horns vs aluminum and plastic [message #42959 is a reply to message #42920] Sat, 08 November 2003 10:55 Go to previous message
spkrman57
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Jerrod,
It is like having a dome driver with efficiency. With no resonance(like the 811/511), the sound is very clear. You might just like the 2226J's in the long haul, and the woodies are worth the $$$.
Ron
Previous Topic: JBL Woofers For Sale, Possible Trades
Next Topic: Theater 4 Pi project
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Jul 11 04:29:31 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers