Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Bass Guitar Speaker
Bass Guitar Speaker [message #42909] Wed, 05 November 2003 10:53 Go to next message
jimmy is currently offline  jimmy
Esquire
I have a 200 watt tube amp for bass guitar. What would make for some great DIY speakers and cabinet with a pair of 12" or perhaps four 10" for F3 of 50-60hz? Any Eminence products qualify?
Re: Bass Guitar Speaker [message #42910 is a reply to message #42909] Wed, 05 November 2003 11:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Esquire
Perhaps too vague above- I looking for high efficiency of about 97db per speaker for loud volume. 50-55Hz at -6dB should be fine. Extended range to 4-5kHz. Anyone try this in a horn type cabinet or is ported the best?
Re: Bass Guitar Speaker [message #42911 is a reply to message #42910] Wed, 05 November 2003 11:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

There are plenty of Eminence products that fit the bill. Frankly, that's one of the markets they specialize in and many of their products are designed for this purpose.

As for horn loading, it's a great way to go, particularly for the frequency range you want to cover. But it does make the cabinet larger, and if you're playing clubs, you may find basshorns to be a bit much to carry alone. Some of my musician friends like bigger cabinets, and some don't. I suppose a lot depends on where you play and how you like to setup.

This is a good discussion for the Musical Instrument Speakers forum.

Re: Bass Guitar Speaker [message #42912 is a reply to message #42910] Wed, 05 November 2003 11:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chris R is currently offline  Chris R
Master
Hi Jimmy,

I finally completed a bass cabinet using ported cabinet and a
15" JBL M151 driver. This is essentially a 4-Pi without a horn.
Sounds great to me. 4K-5K is stretching it for many of the
Eminence drivers, except for the B102's. Those are 10" bass
speakers that have decent specs. you'd have to model them to
see if they met your needs. Each is good for 200W. I'd go for
a pair. Have you checked the eminence site for specs?
http://www.eminence.com/
Chris

Re: Bass Guitar Speaker [message #42913 is a reply to message #42911] Wed, 05 November 2003 12:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Esquire
I read an interesting spec on the Delta Pro 15; qes-0.44, qms-4.73, qts-.40, FS-42 and enclosure of 2.25 to 3.75. Appears a very light cone and xmax 3.2mm. Efficiency is high as well. Perhaps a Carlson or a pair of Carlson designs? I read the Carlson design provides crisp & detailed bass better than reflex designs. (I know little about speaker box design as you can tell).
Re: Bass Guitar Speaker [message #42916 is a reply to message #42913] Wed, 05 November 2003 22:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Fred Ireson is a big fan of the Karlson enclosure. It is interesting looking, isn't it? If I were to build one, I'd probably be inclined to tune the motor chamber the same as I would a bass-reflex cabinet that didn't have a Karlson aperature.

If you need any software to help design the cabinets, there are some great programs in the "info" section of the π Speakers website. Look near the bottom of the page and you'll find them.

Keep us posted on your speaker project and post some photos if you can when you have them finished!

Re: Bass Guitar Speaker [message #42947 is a reply to message #42916] Fri, 07 November 2003 09:46 Go to previous message
Esquire
Thank you Wayne.
Previous Topic: Announcements
Next Topic: JBL Woofers For Sale, Possible Trades
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Jun 04 22:48:37 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio