Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Single Driver doubter no more
Single Driver doubter no more [message #42759] Tue, 21 October 2003 17:29 Go to next message
BillEpstein is currently offline  BillEpstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Okay, here it is, whatever it is............
The Parts Express $1.25 less 25% 4 1/2" full ranger in an 'oh so chic' mini-tower............

I wanted to see how cheap and easy this could be done. Just under $24 worth of #2 common pine 1X6 and 1X8, $1.99 tube of PL 400 urethane construction adhesive, some fiberglass insulation, 16 ga. zipcord inside and $8 binding posts. The binding posts cost 8 times as much as the speaker!!!!!!!!!
I'm loving this.
Put it thru it's paces with my usual Vivaldi, Krall, Ray Brown, Chieftains, etc. Two things stand out: the bass goes really low and matches the 2226 note for note. Maybe I should repeat that, "the bass matches the 2226's note for note." Really! You can't feel it in your chest, the kick drum is just a noise but this is not "one note" bass.
T'other thing is that the speakers do that disappearing thing. None of the instruments are hung on the speakers.
Make no mistake, this is an evil little speaker. It spits and sounds grainy. Diana Krall sounds Bulgarian. LOL! The Altec 806A/ Martinelli Woodhorn gives the illusion of a singer singing in a hall, this little bastard has the performer singing thru a not-so-good microphone.
But, it's obvious that the design, with a high quality driver and the right cabinet tuning could be superb.
Merry Pranks Website

Creating is more like performing than listening

Re: Single Driver doubter no more [message #42760 is a reply to message #42759] Tue, 21 October 2003 18:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
I know what you mean. A simple little system like this can sound pretty good with a watt or two.

The first few recent popular single driver systems I heard kind of sucked, to be honest. So I had a somewhat biased opinion really, and thought I wouldn't really care much for most of the other similar offerings.

But I heard a really surprising little setup at Phil Wilson's house. It was a Fostex unit; Maybe Phil will chime in and tell the model number. Sounds pretty good, to tell the truth.

I guess it stands to reason that some products are better than others, and that there is probably a bit of personal preference that goes in there too. Seems to me that a guy can make a neat little minimalist system with the right parts. And the "right" parts for this application probably aren't necessarily all that expensive.

So while some might worry about distortion from running such high bandwidth to a single device, when the drive circuit is a little bitty two watt tube amp, there's just not a lot of movement there to distort. It really becomes a non-issue with the flea-power amps. Looks like a lot of fun and it sounds pretty good too!

Re: Single Driver doubter no more [message #42762 is a reply to message #42760] Tue, 21 October 2003 18:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chris R is currently offline  Chris R
Master
The center channel I made uses two Fostex FE127's (plus a KSN1038).
I'm a sucker for highs (or my hearing is crap after 100Ws of
Traynor amp in my bedroom when I was a teen. Nah. Couldn't be that.).
Anyway, I'm really impressed with the Foxtex drivers. Not cheap,
but sound pretty nice. The first Fostex pair I made were TQWTs with
some cheap RS piezos. Those are FE207s 8". No complaints there.
I have another pair I ordered by accident, really. Haven't made
boxes for those yet. Those are FE167's.
Chris
Re: He's lost [message #42766 is a reply to message #42759] Tue, 21 October 2003 21:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill Martinelli is currently offline  Bill Martinelli
Illuminati (1st Degree)

Ohio (Reuters)- After encountering a freak accident this Monday. Mansfield Ohio's William Epstein now claims to hear perfectly. As Home Depot's most senior fork truck operator. Mr Epstein was buried alive beneath a complete unit of No. 2 common pine when the semi truck he was unloading jumped its wheel chock and the load shifted.

Local fire fighters decided in order to save Mr. Epstein they could simply burn the wood pile and rescue him as the pile lessened from the fire. A clerk who could hear Mr. Epstein shouting through the lumber, translated to the fire fighting rescue team. That if they just un-piled the sticks from atop him. He promised to take all the wood home. Making single driver speakers from it all.

Re: Single Driver doubter no more [message #42772 is a reply to message #42759] Wed, 22 October 2003 15:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Floyd Andrews is currently offline  Floyd Andrews
Baron
Check the Pass Labs website for a recent article on back horn loaded single driver speakers using Jordan JX92s drivers.
Not to stop the joking, but.. [message #42773 is a reply to message #42760] Wed, 22 October 2003 16:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bubbawat is currently offline  Bubbawat
Chancellor
I too made a center channel with dual Fostex (168 Sigmas) and Klipsch K-77 and K-55 and Have a real like for their sound. As full rangers I wasn't too carried away, but limiting them to up to 700hz or so and they were very good indeed.

Now back to my Caesar...

Re: Single Driver doubter no more [message #42795 is a reply to message #42759] Fri, 24 October 2003 05:25 Go to previous message
Super_BQ is currently offline  Super_BQ
Baron
I've had my stunt with the full range driver concept. I played and played around with the Hammer Dynamic's Super 12 speaker kit and it sounded hopeless to my ears. I mean in comparison to some of the ultra high-end monitors powered by Naim and that sorts... it sounded probably better.. but for my personal preference, I need 15" woofs to move the bass loud enough.

BQ

Previous Topic: anyone near Ottawa,ON for Pi audition?
Next Topic: Newbie, need help about series speaker
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu May 23 03:35:24 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout