Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Help with 10 Pi for bi-amped system
Help with 10 Pi for bi-amped system [message #42703] Wed, 15 October 2003 00:04 Go to next message
peter.azinov@infoparc.com is currently offline  peter.azinov@infoparc.com
Esquire
Any help here would be greatly appreciated.

Currently i use a bi-amped system with fullrange driver and bass in closed boxes. Crossover frequency is 200 Hz. All amps are push-pull tube.

I would like to construct a similar system with a front horn for the full range driver and something similar to the 10 Pi for the bass. I am interested in SE Amps as a next project, so efficiency is important too. which driver would you use for a bass horn which is active to 150-200 hz?

Has anyone built something like this. Any plans, dimensions, and or reference material would be very much appreciated.

Thank you.

Output impedance and woofers [message #42706 is a reply to message #42703] Wed, 15 October 2003 05:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Your use of a single-ended tube amp for bass might mean that the driver's impedance curve is as important as its sensitivity. If your amplifier's output impedance is high, then you'll really need a speaker that is mechanically damped and doesn't depend as much on electrical damping. While most woofers depend on electrical damping for the lion's share, some rely on mechanical damping more than others. So you can limit your choices to these kinds of woofers if necessary, and this decision should rest on your choice of amplifiers.
I did something like this.. [message #42715 is a reply to message #42703] Wed, 15 October 2003 16:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Shanko is currently offline  Shanko
Chancellor
I've done something similar, there is some info about it on my previous post (link below).

The 130A's work extremely well with my SE amps. It seems likely that D130 and K130 JBL's would make good choices too.

It would be worth reading up on what Wayne has said before about recommended cabs/drivers for valve amps also.

Have fun!

Shanko

Re: I did something like this.. [message #42720 is a reply to message #42715] Thu, 16 October 2003 00:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Esquire
thank you for the tipps, and your system looks great!

I've got enormous improvement with tube amps on the bass. the music is more coherent than with the solid state amps. the bass is there also on low volume levels.

the amps have plenty of power and a low output impedance - four el519 per channel, so i dont know if single ended amp has a low enough output impedance to drive appropriately the Pi10 horns. If not the SE amp stays on the midrange horns and i would build some hybrid amps with tubes for the voltage amplification and a mosfet power follower to deliver the current.

i have a bunch of questions, your input would be great appreciated

how much distance do you need to the horns to get a coherent sound?
is nearfield listening enjoyable?
how big is your sweetspot? on my system there is a 1-person sweetspot.
could you send me the plans of your chopped bass horns to get a feeling how big they really are?

many thanks
peter

Re: Output impedance and woofers [message #42721 is a reply to message #42706] Thu, 16 October 2003 00:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Esquire
Wayne,

thank you for the advice. i feel not bound to the se amps. if the output impedance is not low enough to drive the woofer i would use my current push pull mono blocks with 4x el519 and plenty of power and low Zout or build a hybrid amp for the bass with mosfet power follower to deliver the current in the ouptut stage.

yesterday i calculated some horns and they get really big...(i can not use a wall for each channel)
i am not sure if there is enough room to fit them in. it would be great if you could send me the plans of the 10 Pi horn.

thanks
peter

You've got mail! [message #42722 is a reply to message #42721] Thu, 16 October 2003 01:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Re: I did something like this.. [message #42730 is a reply to message #42720] Thu, 16 October 2003 20:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Shanko is currently offline  Shanko
Chancellor
Hi,

"how much distance do you need to the horns to get a coherent sound?"

I listen maybe 12 ft from the horn mouths. Pretty close.

"is nearfield listening enjoyable?"

Yep, but I don't know how much closer I would want to get.

how big is your sweetspot? on my system there is a 1-person sweetspot.

I have a two-seater that is in the 'zone' but one side is surely a bit 'sweeter'. Big Tractrix horns are not wide dispersion devices. A bigger room and more distance would help here.

could you send me the plans of your chopped bass horns to get a feeling how big they really are?

I see Wayne has sent you the plans - if you just cut out the back and top panels leaving the horn angle itself you will have it. Very simple, and placed in corners, reasonably compact(!!)

cheers,

Shanko

thank you [message #42752 is a reply to message #42703] Tue, 21 October 2003 00:59 Go to previous message
Esquire
for all the infoprmation the tips and the plans
Previous Topic: Great Plains Audio Community Meeting
Next Topic: I drove 300 miles to Parts Express for a 5 cent resistor!
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Jul 14 18:51:46 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Miller Audio