Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » crossover questions...
crossover questions... [message #42629] Wed, 08 October 2003 05:52 Go to next message
Larry Acklin is currently offline  Larry Acklin
Baron
I have a pair of JBL 2425J 1" exit drivers, 16 ohm. If I want to use them in a 2 or 3 way box, how can I reconfigure the crossover so it treats the drivers properly, but still presents 8 ohms to the amp?

They would be bolted to CD horns, so the top octive compensation would be a plus.

I know that the cap values change for a 16 ohm driver, but I'm a little hazy on what determines the nominal value the completed system presents to the amp.

Yes, I know I could just tack a 16 ohm resistor across the driver, but that kills the sensitivity.

Also, would it be possible to design a passive crossover (high-pass)
that could do the same thing- present an 8 ohm load, but have the 16 ohm driver inside?

Thanks

Larry

crossover answers [message #42637 is a reply to message #42629] Wed, 08 October 2003 14:40 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

You answered your own question - You can put a resistance in shunt to set the load. If the compression horn needs padding and/or HF compensation, you can form a voltage divider and also be able to use it to set filter Q and high-frequency augmentation. Alternately, you can use a transformer for impedance matching. It's all a balancing act, of setting goal and priorities and building to suit.

Previous Topic: THD woofer measurement-what mic
Next Topic: Hi Guys! How about the ESG1 in a Theater 4?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Jun 30 12:19:33 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Miller Audio