Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » A bunch of questions
A bunch of questions [message #42627] Tue, 07 October 2003 14:45 Go to next message
LP43 is currently offline  LP43
Esquire
Hi I'm thinking of going all tube. Right now I have an MFA magus pre and am think about getting the bottlehead paraglow and a set of PI speakers.

Will this be a good match?

Also which PI's should I be looking at? I will use them in a medium sized room and my budget is less than 1000$. The less the better I suppose but I'm really looking for the best bang for my buck. I will buy the kit and try to build them myself.

Also...I've never built any DIY things except for my stand. I'm I getting in over my head?

last question...What kind of wood is the best for these speakers?

Thanks to all who help me!

Favorite flavors [message #42628 is a reply to message #42627] Tue, 07 October 2003 20:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

The Bottlehead / π combination is very popular, and with good reason. It sounds great, and fills the room with plenty of power.

I can assure you that any of the models in the π Speaker line work well, and I've connected many of them to my Paramours. Even speakers that require a high degree of amplifier/motor damping sound great. There's plenty of bass with control, the midrange is pure and the treble is crisp.

Personally, I would suggest the Professional seven π, Professional four π, Theater six π and Theater three π speakers as personal favorites. The Theater four π / Paramour combination sounds excellent, and is probably one of the most popular Bottlehead system configurations, certainly here. And the Tower two π speakers are also really great, especially for their cost. That gives you quite a range of prices, so there is a nice system for every budget.

more questions.... [message #42631 is a reply to message #42628] Wed, 08 October 2003 13:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
LP43 is currently offline  LP43
Esquire
Thanks for the reply.

I'm really interested, but still need help narrowing down my choices.

My room is not that big and I don't really have available corners. What are the sizes of the finnished products assuming I follow thr pi design. I'm having a hard time figuring out what these are going to look like and how much space they will take. Where can I see them?

Don't mean to be rude, but I find the web-site confusing...at least for dummies like me.

Also what kind of wood does one use to build the cabinets? Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Re: more questions....link re: wood [message #42634 is a reply to message #42631] Wed, 08 October 2003 14:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ubu is currently offline  Ubu
Esquire

link re: wood - 10179.html

for a first timer I suggest MDF - easy to work with and cheap.

You've got mail! [message #42635 is a reply to message #42631] Wed, 08 October 2003 14:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

The web site does have a lot of choices. That, in itself, makes things sort of confusing. But there are just a few basic designs, and they are populated with different drivers. There are traditional bass-reflex speakers, bass-reflex speakers with matched directivity, constant-directivity cornerhorns and free-standing folded horns.

one π is a bass-reflex speaker with an 8" woofer
two π is a bass-reflex speaker with 10" woofer
three π is a matched-directivity bass-reflex speaker with 12" woofer
four π is a matched-directivity bass-reflex speaker with 15" woofer
five π is a constant-directivity cornerhorn with a 10" woofer
six π is a constant-directivity cornerhorn with a 12" woofer
seven π is constant-directivity cornerhorn with a 15" woofer

Studio Series use Eminence Alpha woofers
Thermionic also uses Eminence Alphas
Theater uses Eminence Deltas
Stage Series uses Eminence Omegas
Premium Stage uses Eminence Kilomax
Professional uses JBL Professional Series drivers

I hope that clarifies things a bit.

Re: 4 Pi [message #42647 is a reply to message #42627] Wed, 08 October 2003 19:23 Go to previous message
Bill Martinelli is currently offline  Bill Martinelli
Illuminati (1st Degree)

It would be my opinion that the Theater series 4 Pi would be the best bang for your buck. They work well with SET amps and are very easy to build for a first time project. Corner horns are significantly more challenging and costly.

If the overall dimension of the Theater 4 is too large. Step up to the Stage series 4 Pi.

MDF is inexpensive and a great substrate for veneer. Other than being easy to machine it can be challenging to work with. Russian, Baltic and Fin ply is the best choice. It comes in 5 x 5 sheets and is not always economical. Home Depot sells some fairly decent birch ply for around 36 bucks. pick up two sheets of this and build a speaker.

Bill

Previous Topic: Hi Guys! How about the ESG1 in a Theater 4?
Next Topic: Brother, can you spare a few screws?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Jul 11 22:46:29 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Miller Audio