Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Horn phase and time alignment
Horn phase and time alignment [message #42611] Thu, 02 October 2003 22:40 Go to next message
dwkurfma is currently offline  dwkurfma
Baron
Hi Wayne,

Waiting for a new software release to drop into production so I'm sitting here with a few spare minutes on my hands. Thought I'd get back to you with a pragmatic response to your question on the HE forum. It has been several years since I last heard a JBL 4430 monitor, but it always struck me as having something very "right". It may have been the matching of directivity between the lf driver and the hf horn at the crossover point; it may have been the overall design of the individual components, expecially the 2344 horn; it may have been the low group delay; it may be that these animals really could do a credible job of passing a square wave. Don't know. Just wanted to pass along that in my opinion, this is an example of a design that works well. (Don't know what the actual phase response characteristics were/are. Some interesting details are provided in the following two technical/user documents, particularly in the Time Domain Response section of the Tech Paper. This was first time I had seen the formula for calculating off axis nulls.)

http://www.jblpro.com/pub/technote/tn_v3n01.pdf

http://www.jblpro.com/pub/obsolete/443035.pdf

Best regards,

Dan

Re: Horn phase and time alignment [message #42612 is a reply to message #42611] Thu, 02 October 2003 23:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I agree with you in every way. The JBL 4430 was an excellent system, and I like the technical approach used by its designers.

There's more good information about it and similar systems in the post called "Baffle spacing, phase angles and time alignment, revisited." In fact, excerpts from the AES whitepaper that described the JBL 4430 were used in this post and a link to the AES paper is included there too.

Re: Horn phase and time alignment [message #42613 is a reply to message #42612] Fri, 03 October 2003 03:43 Go to previous message
dwkurfma is currently offline  dwkurfma
Baron
Hi Wayne!

Ah yes. I had forgotten about that one. I still have a hard copy tucked away in my folder of goodies. Most of them, other than a few JBL items and my Klipsch "Dope from Hope" pieces are long gone, one of the concessions to 17 years of marriage. JBL reuses this material enough that I had forgotten the original, more detailed discussion. Thanks for reminding me and providing a link to the .pdf. My paper is getting a bit yellow now.

Hope you're not still up like I am. Eyes are drooping just a little.

Dan

Previous Topic: Re-Foaming vintage speakers.
Next Topic: TangBand 8" for P.A. woofer use... Thoughts?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Jul 18 06:27:27 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Miller Audio