Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Help me out guys... Midrange
Help me out guys... Midrange [message #42441] Fri, 12 September 2003 12:30 Go to next message
Adam is currently offline  Adam
Illuminati (1st Degree)
I've been running quad Seas Excel 7" drivers in my car for sometime now... I'm running a pair in each door, in 0.66 cuft pods per door, tuned to 47 Hz with a 3" diameter port. I have them coupled with a pair of Image Dynamics car horns (2" compression drivers), crossed around 1 kHz. The midbass performance from these ported Excels are PHENOMINAL. I've never heard anything so awesome.

However, I've been considering using a high effeciency 10" P.A. driver in place of the dual 7's, in a very similar box.

What I'm looking for is a 10" high effeciency midrange/midbass driver... To operate from about 50 Hz up to around 1,000 Hz. It would be operating in a very small ported box (0.75 cuft absolute maximum). Frequency response is important, but most of all I just want a driver that sounds beautifully clean in this region, with smooth, well defined midbass and a pleasant lower midrange. A 4 ohm driver would be amazing, but I know I'm not likely to find that. High effeciency is important as well; I'd like to keep it at least 95 db through the midbass region. Price is not an issue, within reason.

Any suggestions?

Adam

Re: Help me out guys... Midrange [message #42443 is a reply to message #42441] Fri, 12 September 2003 13:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wunhuanglo is currently offline  wunhuanglo
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Go to www.jblpro.com - E-Tent Sale. 2123J 10" midrange drivers $127 ea.
Have you heard the 2123s? [message #42453 is a reply to message #42443] Sat, 13 September 2003 04:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
john purys is currently offline  john purys
Esquire
I noticed the 2123's also. Do they give the level of clarity Adam (and I) are looking for, especially at high volumes?

I'm thinking of building party/small PA speakers with a much cleaner sound than the average PA. I realize that power and projection are usually the main design objectives, but I need less of that and more clarity.

But still loud, of course.

Great stuff [message #42456 is a reply to message #42453] Sat, 13 September 2003 06:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
JBL makes some really great sounding midrange drivers. Some of the best there are, in my opinion. I especially like their large cone mids, such as this one and the 2012 and 2020. I also really liked the older 2115 and the smaller 2105.
Re: Help me out guys... Midrange [message #42458 is a reply to message #42443] Sat, 13 September 2003 09:40 Go to previous message
Adam is currently offline  Adam
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Thanks for that recommendation. I checked out the driver, and unfortunately it doesnt have the kind of excursion I'm looking for. I took a look at the JBL 2012 and it seems perfect, even a direct drop into my existing enclosures. What do you guys think?

Adam

Previous Topic: SP12
Next Topic: Biamping floor monitors instead of passive xover?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Aug 08 03:11:02 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Miller Audio