Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » tiniest Pi speaker
tiniest Pi speaker [message #42428] Thu, 11 September 2003 06:00 Go to next message
BrianG is currently offline  BrianG
Baron
Wayne,

I would like to build some Pi speakers for my children's rooms. Is there a Pi design that is really small - say a six inch woofer version of the one Pi?

thanks,

Brian

Re: tiniest Pi speaker [message #42429 is a reply to message #42428] Thu, 11 September 2003 06:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

You might look into the current Professional Series or Stage Series three π speakers, which deliver excellent performance in a small package.

Also, there was a Professional Series one π speaker in the 1980's, and it was one of the most popular models. So look for a JBL 2115, and if you can find a pair, they make a really sweet little speaker at only 0.6ft3. Last I heard, the only reconing kits available are 16 ohm versions with white cones. But that will do just fine.

Another midwoofer that would probably make a great little speaker is the Seas W18EX001. There was a thread about making a PiAlign'ed speaker based on this driver, and the numbers look excellent for a tiny little box, just 0.3ft3.

Thanks (nt) [message #42433 is a reply to message #42429] Thu, 11 September 2003 17:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BrianG is currently offline  BrianG
Baron
Another option (sat/bass system) [message #42436 is a reply to message #42428] Fri, 12 September 2003 05:03 Go to previous message
mollecon is currently offline  mollecon
Master
I recently fooled around a bit with Linearteams online speaker calculator & came up with this small satellite + bass system:

Satellite: One Eminence Alpha 6 in 8 liters (~0.3 cu.ft.) closed box, Q 0.7, -3 dB at ~150 Hz. The obvious partner would prolly be a piezo.

Bandpass woofer: One Alpha 8 in 20 liters (~0.7 cu.ft.) box, 8 liter front & 12 liter rear champer, resonance 95 Hz. - 3 dB points at aprox. 60 & 150 Hz.

One had to be a little carefull with placing the bass-box, since it goes so high - between the sats would probably be best. But placing it on the floor or hung up under the ceiling would be OK. I mean, it's a 'fun' system, not meant to be the cream of hifi - yet I bet it would kick the *ss of most cheap sat/'sub' systems...

Well, just a thought.

Previous Topic: Help please
Next Topic: Great Plains Audio Club Meeting
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Jul 06 17:29:55 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers