Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » 2Pi Tower Boxes
2Pi Tower Boxes [message #42221] Tue, 19 August 2003 17:19 Go to next message
Bugman is currently offline  Bugman
Chancellor
Well...

I got my box back fromt the cabinent maker. I only had him make one just to see how it would turn out. I guess that it was too good to be true. The $120.00 per box for the tower cabs did not turn out to be what I thought I would be getting. The quality of craftsmanship is plenty good for my liking, it just seems that there was a mis-understanding about the materials. I was under the impression that the material would be 3/4" maple plywood. The actual wood ended up being 3/4" solid maple. These boxes are pretty light in weight, much lighter in weight than the boxes that I built.

He has Baltic Birch 1/2" plywood but he said he would have to check on the 3/4". He said that he could do the 1/2" Baltic Birch for the same price as he quoted but I think we will have to make the second cab the same so that it will match in finish and build type.
What about using 1/2 for everything execpt the baffle, where we could have the 1/2" birch plywood doubled up to 1"? Any thoughts about this?

I will still need to brace as I wanted to do my own bracing. I had the back built so I can remove it by taking the screws out. This way I can seal the corners with caulk, add insulating and do all the finsish stuff. I will be cutting the holes myself and putting the finish on the outside.

Is there any simple way to make these things heavier. I have read about putting lead shot in the bottom(or even sand?), I tbink to give the speaker more weight. Maybe there is another reason for the lead shot. Can anybody help me with this matter?

thanks!

Re: 2Pi Tower Boxes [message #42233 is a reply to message #42221] Wed, 20 August 2003 11:43 Go to previous message
Adam is currently offline  Adam
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Why do you need the cabinets heavier??

The 1/2" walls are too thin... If you take that route, double it up all around so it's 1" thick.

If your only complaint is the weight of the cabinets... I don't really see the issue...

Adam

Previous Topic: 10 Pi horn as an electric bass cabinet
Next Topic: could i have the 4Pi-18 plans too?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Sep 03 04:21:44 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Miller Audio