Home » Audio » General » ART radio
ART radio [message #4211] Tue, 17 April 2007 22:09 Go to next message
Melissa is currently offline  Melissa
Viscount
Thanks to everyone for tuning in.
I am also keeping tabs on what gets thumbs up or down. I appriciate the input!! Melissa

Re: ART radio [message #4212 is a reply to message #4211] Wed, 18 April 2007 08:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

You've done a great job, Melissa. Thanks!

Re: ART radio [message #4214 is a reply to message #4211] Wed, 18 April 2007 14:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Duke is currently offline  Duke
Grand Master
Yes, thank you for initiating and making this happen. I enjoy your selection of songs very much, and have already jotted down several that I want to purchase.

Looking forward to meeting you in person in a couple of weeks!

Duke

Re: ART radio [message #4215 is a reply to message #4214] Wed, 18 April 2007 14:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I'm looking into a way to link the songs to Amazon, so we can click a "buy" button and purchase CDs as we hear them. Seems a cool option to add. The server will send information about each song, so as soon as I can write a CGI script to parse it, I can add this functionality.

Re: ART radio [message #4220 is a reply to message #4214] Wed, 18 April 2007 19:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Viscount
I am really glad to hear the positive response.We are looking forward to seeing everyone at the LSAF as well!! Melissa

Re: ART radio [message #4232 is a reply to message #4211] Mon, 23 April 2007 11:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
randle is currently offline  randle
Master
I must say melissa that It took me a while to actually get into it but I finally checked you out and I'm digging it a whole lot. Keep it up, you may have something major on your hands.

Re: ART radio [message #4243 is a reply to message #4232] Tue, 24 April 2007 23:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Viscount
Just a note, if you click on ARTradio just once and be patient it takes a few moments to start the stream you dont have to do anything but click ARTradio and wait.................... then once you hear it adjust the volume it starts up automatically. No nedd to push play or anything else, if you link from Audioroundtable.com

Re: ART radio [message #4246 is a reply to message #4211] Fri, 27 April 2007 06:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
DRCope is currently offline  DRCope
Master
What a great concept! An audio site providing MUSIC. I love the play list too - broad and eclectic in scope. Great fun.

But, and I hate to say it, the delivery has a bad case of the hiccups. Sometimes they're so small there isn't an audible break but the rhythm of the music becomes disjointed. Actual drop outs are frequent enough that after an hour I had to retreat to my iTunes over wireless network Audio Note and Red Wine Audio office system. I listen to music and streaming talk radio over the 'net all day, so I don't think it's my connection . . .

How do you deal with copyright issues and the like? The reason I ask is because I'm doing a community choir web site and we want to put up at least pieces of their concerts for people to listen to and we're worried about rights issues biting us. It's still in development and doesn't have any sound yet, but for the curious, I've included a link below.

Re: ART radio [message #4248 is a reply to message #4246] Sun, 29 April 2007 10:04 Go to previous message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I've noticed a few skips too. I think they've mostly been caused by source media, so when I hear them, I tell Melissa and she re-loads the song that skips. But I've also noticed occasional outages that I think are server related, so we're planning to ask the hosting company Monday morning about that. We expect a trouble-free audio stream at the prices we're paying. I'm confident we can work through these issues.

One thing though, we cannot control the quality of downfeed from a user's internet service provider. Dial-ups won't work well, and if the user's DSL line has a hiccup, the audio stream will suffer. As an example, I've been working out of town and noticed that some wireless connections in hotels are better than others. Sometimes, my audio stream is perfect for several hours straight. But sometimes, the connection is so bad that the station is silent for several seconds at a time. So if you hear several skips or pauses, it might be that the connection to your ISP isn't working well.

About copyrights and royalties, the way our licensing agreement is written, extra moneys are provided for record companies licensing and royalties in addition to those paid for streaming audio service. Anything that isn't owned by record companies is up to us. For example, if we setup a station that played nothing but indie music and/or recorded material that we own, the we would not have to pay the licensed royalties to ASCAP, BMI and SESAC (via Live365). We could sign a waiver and not pay the licensing fees, and instead just pay for the streaming audio server.

Internet radio is an expensive service, which is probably why you don't see streaming audio on any of the other audio sites. It is also becoming more expensive - starting May 15, royaly rates will jump 300% to 1200%. My guess is that broadcasting radio stations must have lobbied to kill internet radio.

Previous Topic: Request for speaker comparison at LSAF
Next Topic: Threatre or at Home?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Jul 11 18:55:47 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout