Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Theater 4 Pi with addition super tweeter
Theater 4 Pi with addition super tweeter [message #42042] Mon, 28 July 2003 09:08 Go to next message
Zeno is currently offline  Zeno
Master
has anyone done this before? or can anyone recommend which is the best supper tweeter to add on and how should i go about crossing it.

thansk

Re: Theater 4 Pi with addition super tweeter [message #42045 is a reply to message #42042] Mon, 28 July 2003 13:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

There have been some guys that have done it. I moved away from that myself, but there's certainly no harm in giving it a go. You might also try using a different compression driver for more extension in the top octave. I really like the PSD2002, especially for the price. But you could obviously do better with a driver that has a beryllium diaphragm.

Re: Before you add a super tweeter [message #42046 is a reply to message #42042] Mon, 28 July 2003 15:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
AstroSonic is currently offline  AstroSonic
Baron
Hi,

There are drivers and add-on super tweeters that will provide more HF extension. However, the stock driver is capable of providing quite remarkable performance. Unless you have done some of the following you are likely to be rather disappointed in an add-on.

1) solder all internal connections.
2) replace the high pass caps (stock mylars) with film types (like Solens).
3) consider upgrading your speaker wires (external and internal) and interconnects.
4) consider upgrading your source.

Items 1 and 2 are relatively inexpensive and can yield substantial gains in extension and resolution, provided that the speakers are receiving a good signal (hence items 3 and 4). A friend of mine has a pair of stock 4 Pi's and you can easily hear improvements in amplification, cabling and source. Whatever you do here-no great harm. Have fun and enjoy the music.

AstroSonic

Solen Caps [message #42049 is a reply to message #42046] Mon, 28 July 2003 19:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
LuxmanLover is currently offline  LuxmanLover
Master
I think a lot of what you mentioned is a matter of personal taste. To me Solen caps have good resolution but they also have a rather harsh cruchy sound. Bypassing them took some of the edge off IMO.
Kelly
Re: Solen Caps [message #42053 is a reply to message #42049] Mon, 28 July 2003 22:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
AstroSonic is currently offline  AstroSonic
Baron
Kelly,

I used the Solens as an example of the type (film caps) not as THE recommended cap. However, they perform quite well for the money and are a good way to start on the diy upgrade path. Much of what is discussed here IS a matter of personal taste. I am not sure what application you have used the Solens in, but the stock mylars in the Pi 4 crossovers are not as resolving or extended as film caps, including the Solens. The Solens also do not generally sound harsh and 'cruchy' unless the signal contains that sound character. That is a problem frequently encountered when upgrading mid or 'downstream' in the system. With upgrades to the speakers you often hear problems originating in the amplifier or source. I have heard that you can have too many film caps in the signal path and too much silver interconnect (the sound becomes overly analytical or worse), but I have not been burdened with that experience. System voicing can get pretty involved and expensive.

In any case, items 1 and 2 are quite inexpensive as system upgrades go, and certainly less expensive and involved than a super tweeter that at least matches the quality of the Eminence driver in the 4 Pi's. So I suggest that he try a few inexpensive tweeks before spending a bundle on a horn or ribbon tweeter. If, in his opinion, the sound is improved, then he is ahead for very low cost. Trying an inexpensive super tweeter like a piezo or the Radio Shack pod tweeter could also yield some improvement.

With respect to your experience with Solens, how were they being used (power supply, coupling, crossover, etc.)? What did you bypass them with that improved the sound?

Regards,

AstroSonic

Re: Theater 4 Pi with addition super tweeter [message #42057 is a reply to message #42042] Tue, 29 July 2003 16:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Master
i like the psd 2002 as well, their prices are really good, some friends drop by to listen to my Pi 4 with my 1.5 watts amp they can't believe the bass they hear from my Pi 4 and the mid are really good as well but seemed to them that the Pi 4 are lack of high, generally it is enough for me.

anyway the Pi 4 is the best speaker i had so far, i used to have speaker that cost USD 3000.00. and the cost of building my Pi 4 is only USD 600.00 with all those Zen & auri with bypass cap in the cross over.

i believe it is a matter of personal taste like you guy say and i will try doing something about the connection and the wireing

changing the compression driver is killing for the time being.

thanks.

Zeno

Re: Theater 4 Pi with addition super tweeter [message #42066 is a reply to message #42057] Thu, 31 July 2003 08:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Russellc is currently offline  Russellc
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Which version of the 4 pi do you have/ I can't decide between the theater and the stage versions....any input would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Russellc

Re: Theater 4 Pi [message #42083 is a reply to message #42066] Sat, 02 August 2003 10:41 Go to previous message
Master
Pi 4 theater is the one to go if you are using low power amp
Previous Topic: theater 4Pi vs stage 4Pi
Next Topic: Help with Ten Pi Horn for 12" Coaxial
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Aug 15 21:25:31 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio