Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » A COMPLETELY Non-Pi question...
A COMPLETELY Non-Pi question... [message #42031] Sat, 26 July 2003 07:02 Go to next message
wunhuanglo is currently offline  wunhuanglo
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
The link below is to a "typical" 1/4 wave transmission line. The design guidlines I've seen always say that the tube cross sectional area ought to be the same as the cone area. (Doesn't seem to be followed too well - many put 2 drivers into a single tube the cross section of a single driver).

My question is - would multiple tubes with a total cross section equivalent to the driver area work as well? I'm thinking that settling of the stuffing would be less problematic with a reduced cross section (higher surface-area-to-volume ratio).

Any opinions appreciated.

Acoustic waveguides and transmission lines [message #42032 is a reply to message #42031] Sat, 26 July 2003 13:13 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I've never built a speaker to use a non-tapered transmission line for a tuning device. But I can't see any reason that having cross-section area equal to diaphragm area should be a requirement. Check out the paper written by Daniel Russell called "Acoustic High-Pass, Low-Pass, and Band-Stop Filters," which contains some information about acoustic waveguides and transmission lines.

Previous Topic: 10 Pi questions
Next Topic: Possibly selling Kappa 18A's
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Sep 11 18:13:15 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout