Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » impedance compensation,
impedance compensation, [message #41958] Fri, 18 July 2003 09:53 Go to next message
Adam is currently offline  Adam
Illuminati (1st Degree)
I had a question for you guys. My fuzzy memory recalls a circuit that will flatten the impedance spike at a driver's resonance frequency, as well as the impedance spike that appears just above tuning frequency in a ported enclosure. However, I don't remember anything about the circuit, or how to derive the appropriate component values.

Can anyone help me out?

Thanks!!

Adam

Re: impedance compensation, [message #41961 is a reply to message #41958] Fri, 18 July 2003 10:42 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

You could certainly use tank circuits to compensate for the peaks caused by mechanical and Helmholtz resonances. But such a filter will also change overall system tuning, so you would need to look at that and analyze the system as a whole.

Zobels and plain shunt resistance are dampers that will help with the tank circuit formed by interaction of the voice-coil and the crossover capacitors. They'll obviously have some effect on mechanical resonance too. But a Zobel will have very little effect because its impedance is high at low frequencies. And a shunt resistance will not damp mechanical resonance much either unless the value is prohibitively low.

Previous Topic: Studio 2 coaxial pic
Next Topic: If I were to put 2 Delta Pro's in an 8.5 cu ft cab with 2- 5" diaX4 1/4" long.....
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Aug 14 09:17:10 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Miller Audio