Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » I need some good PA designs that can work for JBL drivers!!!!!!!!
I need some good PA designs that can work for JBL drivers!!!!!!!! [message #41914] Sun, 13 July 2003 17:26 Go to next message
Don17 is currently offline  Don17
Chancellor

Hello!

I will getting ready to do live sound reinforcement for a church congregation in an auditorium that can hold 800(max) people. The room is 100 feet wide by 150 feet deep. Loud volume levels are expected. My problem is that if I were to use the simple direct-radiating enclosures, I would need about 4 bins per side, each loaded with 2 JBL 15" woofers and a large horn. Buying all those expensive drivers for all those boxes can be quite expensive. Horn-loading would allow me to make the most sound from the least amount of enclosures, but I just dont have the resources to design my own horn for the paticular drivers that I have. But if Horn loaded is the way to go, should I take the risk of designing and building soem type of full range front loaded horn bins like some EAW boxes???
If not, where can i find some plans that are compatible with most drivers out there???

-Thanks in advance
-Don

ten π [message #41915 is a reply to message #41914] Sun, 13 July 2003 20:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

You might be interested in the ten π horn design for the midbass, along with some large format mids and compression driver highs. Depending on the volume you'll need, you might want to run a pair of them on each side of the pulpit area or maybe below and out front, depending on your layout.

Re: I need some good PA designs that can work for JBL drivers!!!!!!!! [message #41920 is a reply to message #41914] Mon, 14 July 2003 11:44 Go to previous message
Larry Acklin is currently offline  Larry Acklin
Baron
Don- I agree with Wayne's suggestion of the 10 pi. Put a pair on the FLOOR, each side, next to each other, so the horns couple, and you will get loads 'o bass. Two horns in close coupling get you more and a lower cutoff. (I would not go below 60 Hz tho.) Your design should include some 12" mids- 200-300 hz crossover(?) in bass reflex boxes- I would guess 1 ea in 2 boxes per side, and 1" exit compression drivers coupled to HF horns- possibly the PSD2002 Wayne is fond of. I would configure a pi aligned box for one 12" and a horn.(total 2 mid/high boxes per side) on top of 2 ea. 10 Pi boxes per side as bottoms.

Configure the mid/tops with Waynes crossover design (suggest about 1500 hz or higher)from mid to HF, and plan on bi-amping the bottoms and mid/tops.

Expect to use a minimum of two amps, one in stereo mode with 2 bottoms per side, and the inputs (only) Y cable connected.

The other amp same way, 2 mid/top boxes per channel, with the inputs Y connected.

Active crossover (behringer or peavey, or whatever)

LOTS of AMP! Figure a pair of Crown XLS602 or QSC RMS1850 as a MINIMUM.

Stage monitors are a whole different topic.

(been doing this a lot this summer)(outdoors,too)

Larry Acklin

Previous Topic: Pi theater 3 or 4 and Adire 12.1
Next Topic: Theater vs Thermionic 3pi
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Jul 14 17:44:25 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers