Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Theater vs Thermionic 3pi
Theater vs Thermionic 3pi [message #41917] Mon, 14 July 2003 08:49 Go to next message
SteveBrown is currently offline  SteveBrown
Grand Master
I'm looking for some input on how these two speakers compare sonically. It looks like they use the same HF driver, but the Theater 3pi uses the Delta woofer, which seems like a good step up from the ALpha series. The specs look similar overall for the two speakers, I suspect the crossovers are rather different. I have the 3pi thermionic right now, so I know how that sounds, what would the sonic differences be? One attractive thing about the Theater is a bit smaller cabinet, that would fit the house better. So if I can get a smaller cabinet and better sound, it would be a good win for me.
Re: Theater vs Thermionic 3pi [message #41918 is a reply to message #41917] Mon, 14 July 2003 10:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

The woofer used in the Theater three π speaker has a heavier cone that's tuned lower. So it can be used in a smaller box and still provide deep extension - as long as the amplifier has pretty good damping ability. Where you'll find the biggest difference is down deep. The Thermionics will work very well on pretty much any amp while the Theater's need better damping. But provided the damping is there, the bottom octave from the Theater three π speaker is a little more powerful.

Re: Theater vs Thermionic 3pi [message #41919 is a reply to message #41918] Mon, 14 July 2003 11:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
SteveBrown is currently offline  SteveBrown
Grand Master
Thanks, Wayne! Can you send me plans for the Theater 3pi? Also, is the crossover the same as the Thermionic 3pi?

Steve

You've got mail! [message #41921 is a reply to message #41919] Mon, 14 July 2003 14:00 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

The crossovers are slightly different - Different driver characteristics need different compensation components. But you can easily modify what you have and build different cable assemblies. The schematics and component charts are included with the plans.

Previous Topic: I need some good PA designs that can work for JBL drivers!!!!!!!!
Next Topic: A little surprise for ya Wayne...
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Jul 15 01:08:05 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Miller Audio